Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-21-2011, 05:46 AM
Premium Member

I was reading some reviews about the at&t 2wire router, some commented on the power supply needing replacement, & some commenting on improved performance & longevity when the power cord to the modem/router was not plugged into a power strip with other computer peripherals, but on a separate power strip, plugged into it's own power outlet.

I have the pc & all peripherals; printer, modem, monitor, speakers all plugged into the same power strip - (a Belkin surge protector), into it's own outlet in the kitchen. Is this ok? or should any modem/router be on a separate power strip or cord, plugged into it's own outlet? I could do this, I could have it plugged into a separate cord,- an extension cord running from a separate power outlet in the kitchen.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
some commenting on improved performance & longevity when the power cord to the modem/router was not plugged into a power strip with other computer peripherals, but on a separate power strip, plugged into it's own power outlet.
Nope, ridiculous. Fallacy logic -- false observation.

There's an episode of the Simpsons that really exemplifies fallacy logic of this nature:
Quote:
Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm.
Lisa: That's specious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, dear. [Homer not understanding what "specious" means.]
Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
Homer: Oh, how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn't work.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you? [Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]
Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.
It's really not too dissimilar from GOP politicians claiming that various anti-terrorism tactics have "worked" simply by asserting nothing has happened during the same timeframe. (Note that this episode was from 1996, a full 5+ years before 9/11, during Clinton's first term in office, so it was not designed as political commentary.)

In your scenario, the person claiming the modem works better on the separate power strip is the one who would buy the anti-tiger rock.

Quote:
I have the pc & all peripherals; printer, modem, monitor, speakers all plugged into the same power strip - (a Belkin surge protector), into it's own outlet in the kitchen. Is this ok?
Perfectly fine.

Quote:
or should any modem/router be on a separate power strip or cord, plugged into it's own outlet?
Only in the sense that the circuit is not overloaded. But I don't see that being an issue. Even on an old home, the amperage should be enough to allow for the computer, a modem, monitor, whatever. Only laser printers tend to cause concern, and can overload a circuit shared with a computer or tube television. Those are best kept isolated, if at all possible.

Quote:
an extension cord .
That would be a potential safety hazard.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!