12-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Free Member

Hi all,
Background: doing a freebie for a local non-profit (sigh).
I will eventually authoring a DVD for them, as I've done many times before (did get $$ then, tho, haha)
It was a taping of a stage show. Processing all that tape is no problem.
Within the show was a projection of a short film. I usually get the miniDV containing the short film and edit into my DVD.

This time, however, instead of handing me a miniDV of the film to be edited in, they gave me a .m2v and an .ac3. Probably Final Cut Pro, eh? First time I've worked with the format directly.

So, I'm about to research and search and read how to get them into a format that I can use with CS3 or CS5.

BUT if anyone happens to be online and would like to explain off the top of their head how to do it, I'd happily read it!

Failing that, once I figure it out, I'll come back and answer my own post with what worked.

Thanks!
Joe
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Free Member

As far as I know, you need to multiplex the .m2v and .ac3 files into an MPEG-2 file (can be done with freewares) and then edit the MPEG-2 file (best to use Womble MPEG VCR, not freeware). Here 'edit' is assumed to be just cuts and joins.

Once editing is done, you need to author the edited MPEG-2 file using a DVD authoring software and then burn with ImgBurn.
12-20-2011, 03:17 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekster View Post
Hi all, Background: doing a freebie for a local non-profit (sigh).
Hey, good for you, being part of the local community.

Quote:
This time, however, instead of handing me a miniDV of the film to be edited in, they gave me a .m2v and an .ac3.
.m2v = MPEG-2 elementary video stream (video only, no audio)
.ac3 = Dolby Digital audio (stereo or surround, but likely stereo), elementary stream

Quote:
Probably Final Cut Pro, eh? First time I've worked with the format directly.
FCP or any number of programs able to encode to DVD-Video compliant elementary streams.

Quote:
So, I'm about to research and search and read how to get them into a format that I can use with CS3 or CS5.
Both will import.

If you run into any problems, just post back here for some simply quick fixes.
Are you on Windows or Mac?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!