Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Website and Server Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Free Member

Something isn't sitting right and I don't know where to find AND how to use the tools to investigate.

I have an IP << removed for security >>
can you show me where to find info on this IP? I think it comes back to BurstNet .
I forget the first part but it's *** NOC.I do not know how to do tracerouts.

This question has been split from another post or thread. This was done in order to address the topic more in depth, make it easier to find via forum searches, as well as prevent the other post/thread from going too far off-topic. Please continue this part of the conversation here. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This is easy on pretty much any computer.
But since I'm typing from a Windows laptop, I'll give an example of how it's done from any version of Windows from Win95 to Win7.

Step 1: Go to Start > Run and type cmd to go to your DOS prompt

tracert1-cmd.jpg

Step 2 (Optional): Type ping and the name of your domain. For example: ping frys.com
You'll receive a response, which includes showing the IP address.

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Step 3: Trace route the IP address by typing tracert, follow by the domain or IP. For example: tracert webhostingtalk.com
Note: I picked this site because I know who the host it.

tracert1-ping.jpg

You can follow the traffic off my ISP (Charter), to Level3 carrier bandwidth, to LiquidWeb's datacenter and/or network.

Tracert isn't an exact science for discovery, and you'll sometimes hit firewalls that block traces.
That happened here, where is why I hit CTRL-C (break, shown as ^C) instead of trying to force the issue to the maximum of 30 hops.

What you'll notice is that we got as far as LiquidWeb, who is the host of WHT.

Sometimes tracert is helpful, sometimes it's useless.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.