01-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I had been buying the following from a retailer (authorized re-seller for Verbatim).

Verbatim DVD-R 16X
AZO
Media ID: MCC 03RG20
Made in India

But the retailer started selling the following for the past 1 week (and not selling the earlier ones anymore I think)

Verbatim DVD-R 16X
AZO
Media ID: TTH02
Made in UAE

Neither of the above are Life Series.

Is the 2nd one as good as the 1st one, especially since the media ID for the second one (TTH02) corresponds to TDK?? Also, the 2nd ones are made in UAE, and the 1st ones are in India. Those are the only two differences I found between them.

Both of them bear the same Verbatim Part Number: 43548.

Please tell me if it is okay to buy the 2nd one.

Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

Most of the refereneces to that media code on TDKs date back to 2006-07, today TDK doesn't make their own media and is simply a part of Imation. FWIW, the last batch of DVD-Rs I got were made in Taiwan and have the MCC 03RG20 media code on them. If you can get it, post the code engraved on the clear plastic inner hub of the disc, it may shed some light on its origin. Its possible its a fake, even from an "authorized dealer". Sometimes dealers will purchase stock from other vendors, many times not knowing where it originally came from.
01-05-2012, 05:19 AM
Free Member

Well...I called up Verbatim customer service (their marketing division actually) and they said they do manufacture in UAE, and TDK is still producing DVD Blanks.

However, they forwarded my query to their Japan team, who will 'officially' tell me if the media I mentioned in my post are genuine or not.

Probably by tomorrow I should hear from them, and I will update the thread with their response.

Meanwhile, I will look-up the code written on the clear plastic portion of the discs and update in this thread.

Regards
01-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Ugh ... so much misinformation. (That Verbatim phone rep is clueless.)

TDK's optical manufacturing operation no longer exists. In 2007, Imation acquired the TDK brand name (as it related to storage media), and began to use the TDK mark for outsourced products. In the realm of DVD recordable media, that meant re-branding CMC Magnetic discs under the TDK brand. TDK no longer manufactured any blank DVD media. Same for CD media. (Blu-ray discs are another story.)

TDK also had a lot of optical manufacturing technology (stampers, dyes, etc) that were licensed to other manufacturers. At the same time, a lot of shady manufacturers were faking the TDK ID, because of its once respected status similar to Taiyo Yuden or Mitsubishi. So it's sometimes hard to tell which brands were using licensed "fakes", as opposed to outright fakes. MAM-A, for example, used TDK IDs on some of their discs, and it's never been entirely clear whether that was condoned or not. It's also never been entirely clear if the licensees of the manufacturing tech were supposed to use TDK IDs that came default on the stampers, similar to how Anwell tech was misused. Anwell's media IDs were infamous in the early era of blank DVDs, even though Anwell didn't manufacturer any discs themselves, but simply provided stampers and related equipment.

The only company producing media in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is Falcon Technologies International, also known simply as FTI. As is the case with CMC, Moser Baer and Prodisc, FTI's facility is one location where authentic Mitsubishi media is manufactured, using MCC and MKM media IDs, with Mitsubishi materials and oversight. Mitsubishi does not personally own any facility in UAE; their only property is in Singapore, where DVD+R DL media is produced.

http://www.falconrak.com/falcon_tech...rnational.html
http://www.supermediastore.com/brand/show/fti

If memory serves correctly, FTI also licensed AZO tech from Mitsubishi, similar to Prodisc, CMC and Moser Baer. And when FTI first came out, it was advertised as "Falcon AZO" media. That was several years ago, at this point. I'd have to search Google (for old ads) and look in old research materials here, to verify it.

FTI has used TDK media IDs for its own media in the past. I've seen the discs personally, and I've seen it discussed online at several sites. Again, it's been a few years. Note that FTI media is quite good. It ranks up there with Fuji-dye Ritek discs, somewhere between 1st and 2nd Class media rankings.

I have UAE-made 16x Verbatim DVD-R here, and it's all MCC03RG20 media IDs. And it's good media.

Remember that Verbatim is a wholly-owned subsidiary and brand name owned by Mitsubishi.

If you're receiving Verbatim discs with TDK media IDs -- and it's not Life Series or Value Series -- then something is fubar. Because that's not right. That would suggest FTI media is being slipped into the MCC production lines. Or that something on the assembly line is not fully MCC, meaning you have some sort of FTI bastard disc, with "optical DNA" from both FTI and MCC.

Or worse yet, that Verbatim has outsourced their main DataLife/DataLifePlus/AZO sub-brand.

Indeed, update this with whatever response you receive.

I used to have more contacts in the optical media world, but M&A and the recession screwed up a number of those. Some people are gone -- some entire companies are gone! And then optical media has always been somewhat secretive, as brands and manufacturers don't like mere consumers to know what happens before the products hit shelves.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Free Member

WOW...that's a lot of information. Thanks for that.

I will update as soon as I receive from Verbatim.

Regards
The following users thank naripeddi for this useful post: kpmedia (01-12-2012)
01-11-2012, 01:57 AM
Free Member

I bought the Verbatim DVD-R x16, a 50 pack to be precise. But they have the TTH02 Media ID.
And I am eager to know what Verbatim has to say about this, naripeddi!!
The following users thank blazzer12 for this useful post: kpmedia (01-12-2012)
01-11-2012, 02:07 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I bought the Verbatim DVD-R x16, a 50 pack to be precise. But they have the TTH02 Media ID.
And I am eager to know what Verbatim has to say about this, naripeddi!!
I asked the same question to Verbatim via email, they never responded. Still waiting for their reply.

Could you try and ask Verbatim in your country?
The following users thank naripeddi for this useful post: kpmedia (01-12-2012)
01-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Free Member

OK. I will do the same and update here.
The following users thank blazzer12 for this useful post: kpmedia (01-12-2012)
03-10-2014, 03:59 AM
Free Member

Just wanted to update this thread to see if I can get more info.

I looked at the inner side ring (clear plastic) on the discs, and it shows 'F1210' on one side, and 'DVD-R 8409B2' on the other side.

The Media ID shown by ImgBurn is TTH 02.

Are these genuine, Verbatim discs, as good as MCC 03RG20? On the box it shows 'Made in U.A.E'.

Attaching a few pictures below:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0805.jpg (64.9 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMAG0808.jpg (37.1 KB, 7 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMAG0810.jpg (57.2 KB, 7 downloads)
03-10-2014, 04:22 AM
Free Member

Another pic that shows 'TTH 02' mentioned on Falcon Technologies International (a company in U.A.E) website in the 'data sheet/specifications' section. I understand Falcon makes discs for Verbatim.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Falcon.jpg (104.7 KB, 3 downloads)
03-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I would not consider anything other than MCC03RG20 to be 100% Verbatim 16x media.
TTH02 may or may not be fake, but it's not Verbatim/Mitsubishi media either. At best, it's FTI media in a Verbatim package.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Free Member

Then what are my options? Continue to use TTH 02 or go for the 'next best available' brand? We don't get TY in our part of the world.
03-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naripeddi View Post
Then what are my options? Continue to use TTH 02 or go for the 'next best available' brand? We don't get TY in our part of the world.
If TTH02 is testing okay, then continue to use it.

Can you scan media? The PIF, PIE, PO and jitter values.
If you're not familiar with scanning media, let me know what EXACT DVD or Blu-ray burner(s) you have.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Free Member

LS,

I can perform the tests if I am guided.

My computer's DVD Writer drive (internal) is not highly regarded on this site. It is LG; HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20. However, the drive has served me well so far. I would have burnt about 300 discs with it.

I also have an external slimline Sony Optiarc writer.

regards
02-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Free Member

I ran into this thread on the internet. FYI: in my experience the FTI TTH02 Verbs are quite good; in fact much better than current Verb manufacture.