01-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Free Member

Is there is a selection tool in Sony Sound Forge 10 much like the marquee selection tool in Adobe Audition CS5.5? Thank you.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I don't really know what you're asking. A marquee tool is a visual tool. For example, to select areas of an image to edit in Photoshop. Since there's really no visual data in audio, there's nothing to "marquee select".

You can use the mouse to click-and-drag a selection on the Sound Forge timeline, however. Then you'll only be working with that portion of the waveform. You can use the +/- to zoom in, too.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Free Member

Sorry for not being clear enough. I attached some examples of the marquee tool in Adobe Audition. The tool only works in spectral mode. Does Sony Sound Forge have a feature like in the attached pictures? Thank you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adobe Selection Tool.jpg (85.2 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: jpg Adobe Selection Tool 2.jpg (48.3 KB, 1 downloads)
01-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
If that function exists in Sound Forge -- and it might -- I've never used it. For our needs, Sound Forge is mostly leveraged for its ability to create custom EQ presets. For example, using the presets pack we've created: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...io-filter.html. More recent versions also have some decent restoration filters in the pro versions of Sound Forge 9 and 10.

I forget the name of the audio view shown in your sample images. (Spectral?)

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Free Member

Is there any way to make those presets work with Adobe Audition?

Also, I have the Izotope Vocal Eraser for Sony Sound Forge. Is there any way to make that vocal eraser work with Adobe Audition? I prefer editing audio with Adobe, but I prefer the Izotope vocal eraser over Adobe's built in center channel extractor. Thank you.
02-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Site Staff | Video

Using Sound Forge presets in another program is not likely. You'll probably just need to use multiple audio programs. That's what I've always had to do. I use a mix of Sound Forge, Audacity, Goldwave, and Sound Booth. No single program ever seems to contain every feature I need or want. However, I will say that 75% of my work is completely done in Sound Forge 9.

I used Audition when it was Cool Edit, before Adobe bought it out.

I noticed this on Wikipedia:
Quote:
As of 2/1/2012, Audition CS5.5 has a one-star rating on Amazon.com, with many reviewers complaining that useful features were removed during the rewrite. Among the missing features are tone/noise generation; Midi Editing & Vsti Support; Metronome and Loop Editing; pitch correction; original FFT filters, scientific filters; graphic phase shifter; revert to original file, MIDI-based hardware control, playback, virtual instrument sequencing, CD Burning mode, and legacy session support.

02-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Free Member

Thank you for the replies. I agree with those one star reviews about Audition CS5.5. I tried it and hated it, so I'm still using Audition 3. I do like the spectral editing, though, and I wish Sony would include that kind of feature in future releases. As far as I can tell, Sound Forge doesn't have that spectral view.
02-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

I wish I had more for you, but I think that's just how the editors differ. Unlike video editors, audio editors seem to vary quite a bit. The only other program I've used with a spectral editor is Diamond Cut Live Forensics. (And you'd think for the cost of their software, they could afford to maintain a website that doesn't look like it was designed by a baboon in 1999).