Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Free Member

Hi everyone,

I'd like some suggestions on an LCD monitor that I can look into getting soon for my workstation setup. I definitely need to learn on color correcting, which in some cases a 3rd monitor is needed. For my setup I will be doing a dual monitor setup, since they will serve as the video editing workstation and DAW (learning and doing music composition).

I could go up to $500 each for the monitors and have those before I work on the computer components for the actual workstation build. I will try to do some more searches on the topic but with this being 2012, LCD monitors models change quite often.

Looking at possibly 23-24" screen size.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-26-2012, 05:06 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Get an 8-bit IPS/S-IPS LCD from ViewSonic. Both are 23" size for about $300-350 shipped.
The WB model is best for photo.
The LED model is best for video.

And you're in luck. Several posts have been made about high-quality LCD monitors in recent months:

Don't get the cheaper/inferior 6-bit LG or Dell brand IPS LCDs.
The HP monitors are nice but overpriced. The candela (brightness) is a bit over the top, too.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-27-2012, 03:05 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Get an 8-bit IPS/S-IPS LCD from ViewSonic. Both are 23" size for about $300-350 shipped.
The WB model is best for photo.
The LED model is best for video.

And you're in luck. Several posts have been made about high-quality LCD monitors in recent months:

Don't get the cheaper/inferior 6-bit LG or Dell brand IPS LCDs.
The HP monitors are nice but overpriced. The candela (brightness) is a bit over the top, too.
Appreciate the info and suggestion, thanks! I'll get to reading on these links. My primary focus for the monitors would be for video work so I will look into the best one suited for that purpose.
The following users thank VideoTechMan for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-01-2012)
04-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I think the VP2365-LED would be your best bet.

Do yourself a favor and just buy it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0053YKE72
Currently $315 + free shiping + no tax to most states.

A lot of other places online claim to have it, sometimes for $10-20 cheaper, but nobody actually has it in stock (even if their site claims otherwise). You'll get called or emailed days after ordering, and by that time the limited off-and-on stock from Amazon may be gone. Don't get caught in that hellish cycle. Just go directly for the reliable merchant. Learn from my mistakes!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I think the VP2365-LED would be your best bet.

Do yourself a favor and just buy it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0053YKE72
Currently $315 + free shiping + no tax to most states.

A lot of other places online claim to have it, sometimes for $10-20 cheaper, but nobody actually has it in stock (even if their site claims otherwise). You'll get called or emailed days after ordering, and by that time the limited off-and-on stock from Amazon may be gone. Don't get caught in that hellish cycle. Just go directly for the reliable merchant. Learn from my mistakes!
Agreed. I shop for alot of my gear at Amazon (Newegg also) so this will pretty much will be a no-brainer. I did some reading on the LED monitor and has alot of positive reviews so I will go for those. Should serve my needs well.

Definitely don't have time for hassles from unreliable resellers so gotta get it right the first time.