04-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Free Member

Hi Lordsmurf,

I have been posting a few questions in the forum about a project to capture my grandparents VHS home movies to transfer to dvd. I wanted to ask you a couple questions specifically as you noted it is better to PM you when seeking your opinion specifically. Feel free to respond in the thread that I started or as a private message.

My question was specifically about which mpeg2 encoder I should use. I looked through previous posts and I got the impression that you thought of Procoder as the best, though I have seen evidence that you also like MainConcept. For the project that I am working on, being encoding interlaced VHS captures that have been filtered with either virtualdub or avisynth, which encoder do you recommend that I use?

My inclination is either Procoder 3.0 or MainConcept Reference. Though I can certainly use older versions like Procoder 2.0 if they are in any way superior.

Could you elaborate on why you dislike CCE so much? And could you please tell me which settings I should use for the encoder you recommend for this project?

I had a few more questions that I posed in the body of my thread. Specifically referring to your methods of software filtering (when applicable), what you think of NeatVideo and an example of a filter chain or order of operations that you would use to restore video captured from VHS.

I think it is great that you make yourself available to help relative newbies to capturing and video restoration like myself. You are very generous with your time and I appreciate that you can share your knowledge to help others. I look forward to hearing from you when you have the time to respond.

Thanks.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm clearing out all my past PMs, and came across this one. However, throughout all of your past posts, I think we may have already covered this in depth. If you (or anybody else) still need/want this answered in depth, please feel free to reply, and I'll do my best to answer.

To briefly answer, it comes down to three things:
  1. MainConcept is always in development, and has proven itself to be excellent quality for MPEG-2 and H.264, improving over the years.
  2. Procoder actually got worse with each version (lower quality MPEG-2), and other formats are really badly encoded.
  3. CinemaCraft (CCE) software is overpriced and is notorious for creating somewhat noisy encodes.
That's why.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs