Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Cameras: Buying & Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I'll be shooting my first wedding this summer. To me, it's not going to be a whole lot different than any other feature-like/news-like event coverage, but I'm still doing some due diligence into researching the topic.

This thread will serve as my notebook on the topic.

Samples from other photographers:

• http://www.tracyesphotography.com/index2.php - Some nice photos here, and this site was suggested to me by the groom. Not sure I understand why so many of his/her photos are crooked
  • http://mauiprofessionalphotography.com -- lots of nice shots here, great shadow, cropping, close-up and lighting (natural, too!) -- wedding only, not sure I like some of the other stuff -- Couples is nothing special, for example

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

I don't think the "crooked" photo is the point as much as the photographer trying to show movement in a still possibly staged image.

I think the key to a good wedding picture, is to capture the innocence of the moment. Anyone can say, you can stand here, you put your hand here, etc... It's the photographers job to make even staged pictures look like they were just stumbled upon.

Don't take just the pictures you would expect, take the ones that may not be expected. This is a time to get extremely creative.

The best part is with a digital camera, and plenty of storage, you can just go nuts with the pictures. Take as many as you can.
05-22-2009, 12:35 PM

Added another site, the Maui one. Peek at that, when you get a chance.

05-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

I really like the cropping, and movement of most of those pictures. I will say that in some of the images, the photographer seems to put the surroundings as the primary focus instead of the couple. Overall though, very nice.

BTW, did you notice how many were angled? lol, I'm telling you. it adds movement.
07-03-2009, 12:30 PM

I've been given a few more last-minute sites to review and ponder....
Only a few days away, eh?

07-31-2009, 11:00 PM

The wedding came out quite nicely, the photographs were well-liked by the bride and groom (and family/friends), and have stood up well against peer review. Honestly, I approached it as if it were a mix of news event and am editorial portrait session.

I've long thought about entering the wedding photo arena, but given my many years as a news photographer (profession) and editorial portraits (hobby), I think I'll being to offer this service in a few select cities. Looking at some advice online, I'm looking in the $1,500 to $2.000 range. One such site discussing the Cost of a Wedding Photographer was

Another last-minute site I was referred to, for a sample of the styles and pricing/services out there, was