Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-19-2012, 05:24 AM
Premium Member

In an effort to reduce my wire clutter, I have been looking at wireless keyboards, & came across this;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B005L38VRU

is this a good idea?

it is solar powered, but my concern is that I sometimes work late on my computer in a somewhat dark room, with only the monitor & some dim lights giving any light, would a solar powered keyboard still work?

or should I just stick with my apple wired keyboard?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-19-2012, 05:41 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I often think wireless keyboard are for people who casually type while sitting on the couch. Or they sit at a desk and type slowly.

If you type fast, you'll hate wireless keyboards, especially as the batteries start to go. Or in this case, as the power drains from the rechargeable whatever-it-is inside the solar-charged version. The issue at hand is lag. You hit the keys, and there's a delay between your action, and whatever it is you're typing or doing. When you type 75-90+ words per minute (wpm) like I do, you quickly get pissed and want to smash it.

The same is true of wireless mice, which are about as inaccurate as it gets.

Wires give faster response times with less lag. The end.

If wired works, then obey the old rule: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That said, I have a wireless keyboard for use with a mini computer plugged into a TV 10 feet away. I also have a mini keyboard with an iPad. I have to go slower when using them. The iPad keyboard is harder to use because it's smaller than normal, so going slow is easy. The big wireless keyboard connected to the TV, however, is easy to overrun. I either wait, or I have butchered text on screen because it missed so many letters.

Honestly, I think a lot of people get wireless devices just because it's the "in" thing. Not because it works better.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
07-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Free Member

I agree. If you are a touch typist and can type at a reasonable speed, many wireless keyboards have a noticeable lag that can be irritating. I have a Logitech one that I am using at the moment which is alright, but it takes sometime to adjust to. If you do go wireless, it's best to get one with a small wireless receiver (so that you don't bang into it and screw up a USB port) and plug it directly into the tower to ensure the lag time is as small as possible.

My favorite kind of keyboard is the old IBM Model M keyboard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_keyboard

You could really bang on these and they make a great sound.
The following users thank robjv1 for this useful post: lordsmurf (07-20-2012)