Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

When I was exploring replay media catcher 4 on their website, I came across a free version or freecoder.

I downloaded & installed it, but did not like how it seemed to be installing a bunch of stuff, it seemed to want to take over my browsers, I dont want something that is heavy & a resource hog. So I tried to uninstall it from the add/remove programs in my pcs control panel.

Control panel 1st said I do not administrative privileges, yet I am logged into the administrators account, & then control panel went on to remove it.

After shutting down & going into the control panel/add/remove programs, it is not in the list of programs. Also, in the control panel I have a program called startup control panel that lets me adjust which programs run etc. I disabled the freecoder service here.

but the toolbar is still in Firefox, & there seems to be no way to remove it. It has also replaced my Firefox with bing. I can still click & open the Firefox icon, but now it is the Bing search engine.

now it starts up every time I start up Firefox.

This is all on a dell pc 2004, with windows xp home service pack 2.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

You need to be more selective about what you install.

And then you really need to slowly read each screen when installing software. Lots of "free" software comes with extra crap that you can install if you simply click yes/next/ok/etc without reading what's going on. And when it doubt, DO NOT INSTALL IT, as opposed to just hoping for the best. That's how you get infected with crapware and malware.

The uninstall instructions are here: http://applian.com/freecorder3/suppo....php#uninstall

Your administrative account may not be named "administrator" (or similar). Account names are meaningless. It's the privileges that matter.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
07-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

I followed the instructions on that page, & it did not work, when I restarted Firefox, it was right back again.
07-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Free Member

Check and see if the prog. changed your home page, tools, options, under general tab.
Then check under tools and then add-ons, uninstall anything you think was a result of your recent download.
07-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Download CCleaner from http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner
Install it.
It has a Tools function, which is an uninstaller that tends to be better than the one built into Windows XP.

ccleaner-uninstall.jpg

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs