08-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Free Member

I want to splice up some progressive video as an .mp4 in h264 encoding. This is because of the different sections the video contains. Would you know what type of import settings I would use? I have premiere pro.

This question has been split from another post or thread. This was done in order to address the topic more in depth, make it easier to find via forum searches, as well as prevent the other post/thread from going too far off-topic. Please continue this part of the conversation here. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Splicing H264 is difficult to do, due to the nature of long-GOP encoded typically in use. Long GOPs don't cut well.

If you use Premiere, you'll need to first decode the video back out into a lossless or uncompressed stream (using something like VirtualDub), then import that into Premiere, cut as needed, and re-encode back out using the Adobe Media exporter. While Premiere can, technically, import many formats, the timeline is almost painful to use or navigate on a compressed video stream.

A more ideal scenario may be to splice without re-encode (or single-GOP reencode, with stream copy for the remainder of the stream). Download VideoReDo, which I believe comes fully functional as a 15-day trial (with registration), and give it a try. It can edit MP4 H.264 streams the same way it does with MPEG-2.

Premiere is an awesome editor, but I think there are better tools for this specific task. Tools with less net quality loss.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: Winsordawson (08-06-2012)
09-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Free Member

Thanks again--I downloaded VideoReDo and it did the job fine. It also has a few other features, such as cutting and splicing various scenes, increasing volume, etc.