Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Digital Devices

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

I have an iphone 3gs, & so far have it in a black otterbox defender case, the phone is kept in a black small purse like wallet, in a dark colored mini backpack.

I ride around in an old car that does not have modern locks, so the driver insists that I have to hide my mini backpack (containing iphone) in the trunk of the car. I know the trunk is not the best place, but I dont have a choice in this matter.

I noticed the other day, after getting my pack out of the trunk, & getting my iphone out to use, that it felt warm. Would using a light colored case or otterbox iphone case help protect it against the heat? or does it really matter?

this is what the iphone is in now; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

would using these protect against heat better? http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defen...=pd_sim_cps_30

& http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_2

would the white make a difference in heat protection vs the pink?

I know that heat is not good for electronics like this, I thought I would ask about this before buying one of the pink or white ones, if the color of these would make a real difference.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Color won't matter except when something is in direct sunlight. Even then, the effects are limited by other factors.

The physics of color and heat is actually somewhat interesting. It's something that I've studied quite a bit, due to the media research we do here on this site. The primary factors are absorption and reflection, but you also have to pay attention to wavelength. This is why, for example, gold DVDs are a lousy choice for archival grade media, because gold is harder to read -- poorer reflection -- than silver (or silver colored alloys) at that specific wavelength.

In other words, pick the case you think looks nice or pretty, and forget about heat.

I would pay more attention to the physical properties of the case. For example, aluminum will release heat the best, while plastic and rubber will insulate it, making it even hotter.

Phones honestly don't need extra cases. They come inside a case already.
At most, I'd add a screen protector. Maybe a couple of adhesive cloth strips on back to give better gripping.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Premium Member

Sossity, get something insulated if you're worried about. Thick sock and plastic zip lock if you don't want to spend any money. Trapped air is one of the best insulators you can use hence the reason for the zip lock.

Quote:
I would pay more attention to the physical properties of the case. For example, aluminum will release heat the best, while plastic and rubber will insulate it, making it even hotter.
It works the exact opposite in a trunk, heat will always "move" to where it's cold though convection, conduction or radiation. Since the air in the trunk is hotter than the phone the aluminum will more efficiently conduct heat into the phone.
08-22-2012, 01:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Sossity, get something insulated if you're worried about. Thick sock and plastic zip lock if you don't want to spend any money. Trapped air is one of the best insulators you can use hence the reason for the zip lock.
The problem here, however, is condensation build-up.

The thick sock would hopefully absorb the created condensation. Silica gel packets could help with that, too.
And then forget the ziplock -- go straight for a small ice cooler.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs