Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Free Member

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I've just purchased a Home theater from LG BH 9220 B 3D, and found out it only plays Region 4 DVDs. I have most of my DVDs region 1. Called costumer service for LG and they tell me I cannot change to region 1 because its illegal or simply it can't be done. Is this true? or is there any way I can get around it. I've read about burning a CD withe a zip file, my player allows flash memories. Can someone help, I deeply appreciate it.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Called costumer service for LG and they tell me I cannot change to region 1 because its illegal
That's just flat out false. It's not "illegal". The entire regions system was invented by the movie industry to try and isolate markets in a now-worldwide market. It's really just a nuisance. They'd love for people to think it's a law, on top of existing import/export restrictions between companies. Whoever you talked to at LG was an idiot.

Quote:
or simply it can't be done. Is this true?
That's not true either -- usually. Some models can be changed by accessing "secret" manufacturer control menus, or by simply flashing the firmware. The available options vary from brand to brand, model to model.

Quote:
I've read about burning a CD withe a zip file, my player allows flash memories.
^ This is firmware flashing.

Quote:
or is there any way I can get around it.
The easiest thing to do is to make the DVD region-free. This is done by simply copying the disc, using something like DVD Decrypter, DVDFab, or AnyDVD to strip the region information. Burn the now-clean version to a new disc. It has no regions, sometimes also incorrectly referred to as "Region 0". The disc will now play in the player without issue.

The disc copy method doesn't risk the player (due to bad flash), and now you have a backup copy of the discs to watch. You can store the originals in a close for safekeeping. If the copy gets scratched, just repeat the process.

... but copy discs ethically. Don't try to "backup" the local rental store. Just do it with your own discs.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the site.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: lustardo (09-14-2012)
09-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Free Member

Thanks a lot for your responses. I will copy my favourite dvd's. I appreciate all the help!"!!

Last edited by lustardo; 09-14-2012 at 10:26 AM.