Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Free Member

Hello,

I am currently testing out the following command line scanning application: CLScan - http://commandlinescanning.com

So far I am pretty satisfied with this solution as I intend to include it into my own college project application. Does anyone have some experience with that product, because I did not have a chance to use it before. It does not seem to expensive, but maybe someone knows a free solution that has the same features?

It is important that I can define file names variably and that I can implement it to my own Visual Studio project. Thanks in advance!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I've not used that specific application before, no. But it does look interesting. I'd surely want to try it before committing to a purchase.

The scanners used here are from Epson, Nikon and Minolta, and Silverfast is the software of choice. Or the Epson software for the Epson scanners. And the the monitors are calibrated with Spyder or other X-Rite squids. That tends to be a fairly common professional solution, outside of a drum scanner workflow.

In some ways, this CLScan almost appears to be more like a developer toolkit than an end-user application. And that could be useful.

I would point this out:
(1) It does seem a bit pricey.
(2) And the site/company is new: COMMANDLINESCANNING.COM created on: 05-Jul-12, expires 05-Jul-13

And then the site/business is run from Croatia...

... which I happen to see is also your IP address.
So your post is likely spam. But it's an interesting project, so you get a one-time pass on it.

But I always get a bit uneasy when I see
(1) a new online business,
(2) that didn't spend any funds on it's branding or public presence; the site is using a $15 or $35 website template from ThemeForest,
(3) is run from an eastern bloc country (Croatia) known for high fraud,
(4) uses spam for "marketing" or "advertising",
(5) doesn't own the domain main for longer than the minimum amount of time needed,
(6) yet claims to offer long-term for-pay support packages

... maybe something to think about.

As for a free alternative? Nope, never seen anything quite like this before.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Premium Member

The SANE project is open source and can be used for command line scanning (under Applications/Frontends): http://www.sane-project.org/
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: kpmedia (10-03-2012)
10-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I would imagine there's some sort of Linux scanning tool out there, which is available via CLI, but I don't know what that would be. SANE looks to be at least one of them. Knowing Linux, there's probably several more. Plus Windows/Mac ports of each. All of my scanning is done in Mac OS X and Windows XP right now. Mostly Mac. It's been a while since I scanned any film on the Nikon, and I'll likely try to use Windows 7 with it moving forward, if I can set it up how I want it.

It doesn't get any more command-line than Linux!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.