Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-30-2013, 04:45 AM
Free Member

I need to purchase either CDR's/DVD's & know not which to use. I have a multitude of downloaded (via "Freemake") Youtube videos. I chose MP4 format (QuickTime) as the other formats wouldn't playback on my laptop w/XP sp3. Some of them are up to 450MB long and some are audio only. These are Flash videos & I find myself now confused.

I grasp that I should use blank disks to record certain vids to share & flashdrives or SD? cards to store the bulk (140G) of them for long term.(as my XP OS may be about to need reinstallation, I fear not securing them somehow)

Can DVD's record QuickTime MP4 videos or must I use CDR's? Would you recommend SandiskDataTraveler or other vs. SD card for mass storage? I would be so grateful for any guidance or the location of some. Thanks much

This question was asked via email. Site Staff no longer answer tech questions via email, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-30-2013, 05:07 AM
Former Site Staff | Computers

CDs will store ~700MB of data while DVDs will store ~4700MB of data.

VLC Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html) will play .flv (flash files) without a problem on Windows XP.

As for storing the MP4 videos, you can use either CDs or DVDs, though you will fit more onto a DVD.
I would NOT recommend using SD cards or flashdrives for long term storage as they degrade quickly over time and are meant for short term storage / file transfers.

For sharing, I would say use DVDs, and for long term storage you can invest in an external hard drive. The Fantom 2TB (~2 million MB) is a popular recommendation on the forum. The external hard drive will give you plenty of space to store video files (and other important documents and data).

Here's a link to some highly recommended blank DVDs.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00067DUB8

and a link to the Fantom 2TB drive.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002XITVCA

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
-JMP

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Check out my latest Editorial.