Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-13-2013, 01:12 AM
Free Member

I have a lot of home videos shot in High Definition (interlaced) on a Sony HD Camcorder. The footage is awesome as HD.

However, when I converted the .MTS clips to DVD-Video format using MainConcept Reference at full 9000 bitrate, the footage really looked like crap. It is lower in quality than my DV-to-DVD footage.

What could have gone wrong? (I know DVD is SD...etc) or that's the way it is?

Is there a better way of converting MTS to DVD? I do the conversion because I want to send the DVD's to my sister who doesn't have a Blue-ray player. I didn't go 'burining MTS files on DVD as data' route because their computer can't handle playing HD files. Even on my Dual Core machine, the playback stutters a lot.

Regards
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I think MainConcept's main weakness is the resizer -- it looks terrible compared even to Avideux. So that may be part of it.
The best way is to pre-convert an AVI to the right size, and then encode it.
While most people groan about it taking "two steps", you have to remember that this is essentially editing.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-13-2013, 09:59 PM
Free Member

Ok. The source video is 1920 X 1080i. How do I pre-convert to 720 X 576? and to AVI???

VirtualDub doesn't open the MTS files.

Help is appreciated.
02-13-2013, 10:13 PM

If not VirtualDub, any NLE will be fine. Adobe Premiere, for example.

But VirtualDub can open M2TS/MTS files!
Note: It may lead to other problems, with other file types, so only install this temporarily in VirtualDub.
It adds DirectShow to VirtualDub. As long as the system has a codec (like the Haali Media Splitter, aka Matroska Splitter), it works fine.
See attached.

Try those.

Attached Files
File Type: zip DShowInputDriver-0.5.zip (82.0 KB, 0 downloads)
File Type: rar MatroskaSplitter03032011.rar (1.28 MB, 0 downloads)

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Free Member

WOW...this is almost like instant messaging. I will try it tonight.

Once VirtualDub is able to open the MTS files, do I use RESIZE filter to resize to 720X576 and then save as AVI? What to select under Video --> Compression?
02-13-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naripeddi View Post
WOW...this is almost like instant messaging. I will try it tonight.
Sometimes you get lucky, and catch me (or other Site Staff) while we're online.

Quote:
Once VirtualDub is able to open the MTS files, do I use RESIZE filter to resize to 720X576 and then save as AVI? What to select under Video --> Compression?
Yep.

- Resize to 720x576. Disable "maintain aspect ratio" or whatever it is. You're going from 1:1 square HD pixels, to rectangle SD pixels.
- I'd use Huffyuv as the temporary intermediary codec. That's what it's for.

02-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Free Member

Thanks kpmedia. I will try it tonight. Seems like a lot of process involving huge intermediate files, but if it gets me the highest quality DVD possible, I don't mind it.

Also, one other question while you are online...The Sony camcorder came with a software called 'PlayMemories Home'. It has a feature to 'combine' videos. Since all my clips are about 1 minute each (unlike a DV tape where the video stream is a continuous one), I wanted to combine the related clips before making the DVD. The Sony software, when I hit the 'Combine Videos' button, says that 'it will re-encode video' and 'will take a lot of time'. However, it finishes the combining activity in just a minute. Is there a way to know if it is really re-encoding'?

By the way, the audio that the Sony camcorder records is 5.1 AC3.

regards
02-13-2013, 10:58 PM

That's just it ... high quality vs. speed/size.

Re-encoding video sounds about right for free/cheap consumer software, and I'd avoid that mess-maker. Nothing good will come of it. It may not be re-encoding if it goes that fast, but hard to tell without seeing it in action. How does it look? Maybe it's just merging? Then again, that sounds odd too, as you have to at least re-encode part of a GOP. That why I use Womble, VideoReDo or TMPGEnc's new editor. Or maybe the program is just referring to a GOP and not telling you? It just says that it's "re-encoding".

If you're not cutting the length when converting the video, the audio should author fine, assuming the authorware supports 5.1.

Trying to edit the audio adds another level of complexity.

02-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Free Member

Ok. This is my last question. The combined video looks just fine, similar to the individual files. Is there a better free combining (and removing some parts of a clip) software for MTS files? I heard TSMuxer does it but not sure of its quality. Thanks.
02-13-2013, 11:26 PM

I'm not readily aware of anything free. If what you're doing looks good, then continue.

02-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Free Member

Thanks. Much appreciated.
02-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Free Member

kp, I just read through several other forum sites, and found that an Avisynth script such as DirectShowSource("MyClipName.mts") will open in VirtualDub fine.

Since I am able to 'play' the MTS files on my Windows 7 machine using VLC, I am assuming that the machine already has DirectShow and the Haali. Do I still need to download and install them from your post?

Also, while in VirtualDub, can I do other filtering tasks (such as brightness, contrast...etc) on the MTS file before exporting to Huffyuv?

What about the audio extraction? Do I select 'Uncompressed' under Audio --> Compression while exporting to Huffy? The source audio is 5.1 AC3. Why not just direct stream copy for audio since DVD Spec allows for 5.1 AC3?
02-14-2013, 12:22 AM

It's six one way, half a dozen the other way. In other words, both methods work.
Remember VLC uses an internal codec library, so see what Windows Media Player does. If it plays, the system has a codec. If not, then not.
Sure, filter as needed.
Direct Stream Copy will retain the DD 5.1 AC3. The other won't.

02-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Free Member

ok great. Windows Media Player does play the file, so I have the codecc.

Thanks much for the help.