Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Free Member

Is there a way to automatically have specified folders back up to an external hard drive when the external HD is turned on. I want to be able to specify exactly which folders I want to back up and what folders they will be backed up to on the external HD and have them automatically backed up every time the external HD is turned on. It should only back up newly created files and updated files. Any existing files that have not been updated since the last backup should not be backed up again until it's updated. I found an option in Windows for Backup and Restore but that wants to save a system image. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Former Site Staff | Computers

I have not heard of anything like this outside of Apples Time Machine in OS X. Even then, it creates a system image and it only backs up new/updated files for each progressive backup. As far as scheduling it to backup when an external is plugged in, I have not seen any programs like that.
A few minutes of searching on Google turned up this: http://www.genie9.com/home/Genie_Tim.../overview.aspx
I have NOT tried or tested it, but from what others have said, it works similar to Apples Time Machine.
You can give it a try, but again, it will most likely want to create a system image for a starting point for backups.

-JMP

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Check out my latest Editorial.
03-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Free Member

I guess I will have to stick with doing this manually. Thanks.
03-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Premium Member

Karen's Replicator will do what you're after, in part. You can make it backup only newly created/updated files, but based on a schedule you set and not upon connecting a drive. I don't think so at least, I haven't used it in a while and don't know if there's been updates or anything. It's a great little program and it's free.