Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Free Member

Hi,

Its the time again to try to research for a good and reliable webhost for 2 entities:

1 -- A Commercial retail setup (no need for VPS as no time to manage actively -- USD 20/mth) -- Has to be reliable and up to par support -- for a friend's boss shop.

2 -- a Private retail setup (all the more no need VPS, overkill -- lower budget -- USD 10/mth) -- Should be reliable as well with great support.

Great / Up to Par Support ==> Solve or reply to issues within a reasonable time frame any time of the day (2 hours?).

I read about Stable host --- some people are experiencing sub-standard Customer service pertaining to professionalism and to certain extend rudeness + termination of account without valid reason.

Hawkhost -- there are some issues with its customer service too, but I can't be sure.

Any other webhosts worthy for Singapore based setups?

Thank you.

Last edited by faustine; 03-21-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-21-2013, 12:39 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Downtown Host should be on your list. That's a great host, and has servers in Singapore.

SiteGround is okay, and has servers in Singapore. Note that it's an unlimited host -- while we suggest some unlimited hosts, remember it's still just shared hosting, so don't try to overuse it. This one isn't bad, but is one of my lower choices.

Quote:
I read about Stable host --- some people are experiencing sub-standard Customer service pertaining to professionalism and to certain extend rudeness + termination of account without valid reason.
The problem with low-cost hosts is you get a lot of amateur customers that expect too much. So I'd want to hear from Stablehost on this, and get their side of the story. I've not seen any complaints, so you'll need to show me where those are. Given their excellent record, I have a hard time believing this.

Quote:
Hawkhost -- there are some issues with its customer service too, but I can't be sure.
I've seen some complaints for Hawkhost, but generally we find out the person is to blame. Most often, it's from somebody that's trying to use too many server resources; i.e. it's time to upgrade to VPS or semi-dedicated hosting.

Anyway, I'd look at DowntownHost.com first.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-21-2013, 02:54 AM
Free Member

Hmm, has downtownhost got back their reliability already?

So hawkhost is still good?

You told me previously for my friend's setup he should go for Enterprise based type of hosting which will help with the extreme stability & reliability needed for his commercial shop setup.... so both Downtownhost and Hawkhost will be ok for his budget of USD 20? (currently he's using JPC -- VPS, but think they don't really need that)

For me I can go with Hawkhost no issue -- USD 10 per month.

Stablehost, well there are people (in WHT & a personal blog) complaining about Mr. B -- being rude and cancelling their accounts without reason.. Well Webhosting is a service line afterall, so when certain staff aren't able to serve customers in a professional way regardless of whether in the 1st place the customers may sound inappropriate... It may afterall be a misunderstanding.

It scares me a bit if there are unprofessional way of dealing with things, it will grow ugly like what is happening then to the guys complaining in WHT and elsewhere. Just 2 cents worth of opinions.
03-21-2013, 03:28 AM

It's been about a year since the DTH snafu. What went on was a cascade of strange events -- example: the owner having his iPad stolen while out of town. They've worked hard to implement changes to prevent this in the future. They've earned their trust again.

Hawkhost is probably the lower-cost choice. I would not hesitate to use them.

There's nothing wrong with SH, but I don't see that it a contender here anyway. It's only in Phoenix and Europe -- not Singapore.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-21-2013, 03:58 AM
Free Member

Hmm with Downtownhost -- their Semi-dedicated hosting is way too expensive....

So that left us with their Reseller hosting (for my friend's setup) which I guess is also Shared with others in a server node.
03-21-2013, 06:51 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Downtown Host has a 60% off coupon right now.

See http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/deal...tcom-save.html

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Free Member

Thank you for pointing this out, but I'm still researching right now.... my friend's existing setup with JPC expires only in July.

In addition, I checked with Jorge from DTH, it appears that these coupons work for only shared hosting.... Not Semi-dedicated.... But he's open to customise a plan for my friend's commercial setup -- with lower requirements. So that is a start.
03-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Free Member

Hmm, I checked with both Hawkhost and Downtownhost, their semi-dedicated offering, is not in Singapore.

Hawkhost --> Texas

Downtownhost --> Philadelphia

Upon checking their uptime with Integrio Scout, it seems both are comparable in terms of the Query Time.... Still better than JPC anyhow.

Any advises?
07-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Did you ever make a decision on the two hosts? What did you decide?
Curious what you picked and why.

Thanks.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-26-2013, 04:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Did you ever make a decision on the two hosts? What did you decide?
Curious what you picked and why.
Have been trying to figure out between the 2.. and still observing.

We gonna switch hosts in Sept...

Any further opinions appreciated...
08-22-2014, 11:09 AM

Take Downtown Host off your list. That's turned into a nightmare from what I've been seeing on WHT.

02-04-2016, 11:46 PM
Free Member

Hi, I'm back! Yakkity Yak!

Time to research on a new host for my friend in case Site5 is not up to standard in future --- just heard of the EIG thing last year....

Other than SiteGround -- any other Webhosts with SG servers?

Regards

Faustine
02-05-2016, 12:19 AM

To be honest, if Siteground has what you need, go with them. Between their improvements in 2015, and the loss of several other once-good hosts (Arvixe, and Site5 when taken over this summer), it's now easily the top choice. I'm about to update our site to reflect this.

Concerning Site5, I'd not wait until sh-- hits the fan, if the site is really important. Just move now. Migrating after EIG borks things is never an easy task.

02-05-2016, 12:39 AM
Free Member

hmmm, however it will be tough to move now.... as its our Pre-Lunar New Year period....... all very busy.

Besides its my friend's commercial entity -- he will need to answer to his boss.

Will see how, after this 2 weeks. Anyway the payment for the hosting is till March.

So probably will have to break news to him to change host before then.

That aside, Siteground is slightly expensive for us in the Reseller package.

Thats' why I'm asking if there's any other in the market.
02-05-2016, 01:01 AM

Hmmm... yeah, I'm not overly fond of the Siteground method of reseller hosting. I'd not mess with that.
Siteground is mostly good for shared hosting.

There are many other good hosts, but not many have a Singapore location.

Hawkhost is still an option.

04-07-2016, 01:23 AM
Free Member

Wont be going back to Hawkhost for obvious support reasons. hehe
Are there any other reseller hosts that are worth the trouble to switch? Other than Hawkhost and Siteground for Singapore located business?
Hawkhost was not v good in terms of server reliability and helpdesk services.... that's our experience.

-- merged --

Hey guys!
Anyone tried SkynetHosting?
It offers Singapore server, and the Reseller hosting pricing seems within our budget.
https://skynethosting.net/singapore-reseller.htm
04-07-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustine View Post
Anyone tried SkynetHosting?
Don't do it.

They sell BS:
- "SEO" hosting (IP-based nonsense)
- Master Reseller (ponzi scheme)

And then their reputation for support is lousy.

In the past, I've read where their gray/blackhat hosting attempts have caused entire netblocks to be devalued by Google. That's not uncommon at "SEO" hosts (quotes because it has nothing to do with search engine optimization, and is bunk).

Terrible idea. Hawkhost is better than them, and you're already not a fan of the hawk.

The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: faustine (04-07-2016)
04-07-2016, 05:17 AM
Free Member

Thank you so much for your reply, KPMedia!

Eeeks... Hawkhost's support wasn't fantastic at that point in time due to the fact that no Live chat that time.. and response time was not as fast as Site5...

Gosh.. really don't know where to switch to.
04-07-2016, 07:33 AM

Sadly, there's few good options in Singapore these days.

- For plain shared hosting, not reseller, you can use Siteground.
- Hawkhost is alright.
- Downtown host is passably decent, but Hawkhost is better.
- A2 is an option, but we're still reviewing them. Results so far are mixed. Same for Shinjuru; mixed.
- When you google "Singapore web hosting", lots of really crappy companies are listed: exbytes, skynet, hostpapa, 3ix, hostgator/eig, etc. Quite a few are fly-by-night kiddie hosts, offering unsustainable pricing, with no support. Site5 has now started the EIG-izing of the company, so I'd stay away from that.

What sort of sites are you running now?
Perhaps a quality west-coast USA host, combined with CloudFlare, would suffice? (CloudFlare is pretty good now, unlike in 2013., when this topic started.) If that's the case, then re-look at Stablehost.

Godaddy managed VPS are quite nice these days, and you can get them for $30 monthly or $25 paid annually. Not sure if that's an option you want to pursue. (Compare to VPS.NET, which has mixed reviews and pricing is higher.)

04-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Free Member

Thanks KPMedia for your insight.

Will consider Stablehost -- given not sure how it would fare with Hosts with Singapore Datacenter.

We're using Wordpress as home base + Opencart for E-commerce.

Have yet informed him about my plan to change host till I find a suitable one.

Last edited by faustine; 04-07-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Closed Thread