Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Free Member

I read your Top Hosts in 2013 post on Digital FAQ, and I just had a question.

I am currently with StableHost and planning on moving to a VPS in the future. I was taking a look at the VPS section, and StableHost is actually not listed. Was there something specific about StableHost that makes their VPS quite not up to par?

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Everything Stablehost has can be considered good.

It's not just a shared host, though they're best known for it. It has upgrade paths and they are not a "me too" type of host (meaning some hosts offer things they're not any good at).

When you're already with them, you can stay with them.

They're not on the VPS only lists not because they're bad, but because there are slightly better hosts -- usually hosts that only offer VPS as they specialize in it. Possibly cheaper, too. (But don't decide on a host based on price.) But they didn't offer shared, semi-dedicated, reseller, etc. If I were already at Stablehost, and liked it, I would not move.

In fact ... we didn't!
This site uses a Stablehost VPS, in the group of servers that runs it. That should say something.

They offer non-oversold OpenVZ plans (UBC/burst). While OpenVZ UBC is historically not very good, and can be overloaded by hosts quite easily, Stablehost doesn't do that. That's one reason their VPS are higher priced than others (Virtuozzo and OpenVZ hosts). Though I wish they used vswap instead of UBC, I have no complaints for 18+ months now of using the VPS.

They've been one of our main hosts for 4+ years now. We wouldn't stay if they weren't really, really good!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.