Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-28-2013, 03:10 AM
Free Member

I was hoping to find branded JVC TY dvd-r or dvd+r made in Japan and have only come across 25 dvd spindles of GOLD media , I read on here that gold is not good . This is for making master copies of important videos and concerts I have . Are the GOld really as bad a s they say ? They are JVC TY made in Japan pro grade . the +r are easy to find the -R are very hard almost all out of stock .

Thanks
Steve
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Free Member

One thing you have to remember with DVD (and even CD/Blu-Ray media) is that there are certain specifications that need to be followed in the manufacturing of the disc so that it can play in all players. Width and thickness need to be the same as specs. And when they start putting metal in with chemical, they have to put less of both to fit in the specs.

But also, with glass discs, the information is pressed into the clear plastic of the disc, not the metal: the metal's just there to provide a mirror for the laser. But when metal is put into blank discs it is worthless, since with blank discs the information is burnt into the chemical, which also must reflect the laser. Putting an even thinner piece of metal than is in a glass disc is like putting petroleum jelly on a mirror: you can still see the reflection, but not as well as when there was no jelly. Really, you've compromised the quality of the DVD/CD/Blu-Ray with all these "Gold"/"Platinum" Achival discs. It's a marketing gimmick.
The following users thank tomswift for this useful post: sa5150 (04-28-2013)
04-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

JVC = Taiyo Yiden, therefore it's excellent media. Be very sure it's made in Japan, as you don't want old-stock Wealthfair Investments junk (WFKA media ID).

TY may be doing what Mitsibishi has done, and are putting gold on top, but silver alloy on bottom. It's media made to appeal to suckers, to be honest. The ones who think gold is better; it's not, of course.

The Verbatim DVD+R media is slightly better than DVD-R anyway.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
04-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Free Member

The Verbatim DVD+R media is slightly better than DVD-R anyway.

How so ? Just wondering . For the price I verbatim can't be beat for 100 but . Will the azo=mcc= Taiwan /Singapore ? I do not want anything unless it's those 2 countries or Japan media . I wish it was just Singapore but I don't think I will find anymore of those .
04-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

MCC media is made in Taiwan, India, and the UAE. But it has MCC media IDs.
The MCC DVD+R just scans better and has less coasters.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: sa5150 (04-29-2013)
04-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Free Member

Verbatim DVD-R is just as good. Of course it's been years since anyone stocked the AZO plusR in my region. All the recent plusR's have been the Value series.
The following users thank tomswift for this useful post: sa5150 (04-29-2013)
04-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Free Member

it looks like it's pretty easy so order the dvd-r and + r online with the azo . the -r are cheaper .
07-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswift View Post
Verbatim DVD-R is just as good. Of course it's been years since anyone stocked the AZO plusR in my region. All the recent plusR's have been the Value series.
It's been like that for several years now. You have to buy online.
We monitor several stores, and put the best prices here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

We'll be updating that info in the near future, and adding BD-R and CD-R.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs