Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-15-2013, 03:12 AM
Free Member

This is my first subject documentary, on motorists and cyclists in my home town of Cambridge in the UK.
The press have shown an interest in the film already, the local newspaper want to talk to me about it, and a small magazine company in cambridge are going to write an article about it.
Shot on a Canon 600d, with 50mm 1.8 for interviews, and 18-135mm for b-roll
Can I get some feedback please?

http://youtu.be/AcKvBONpxgw
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I like the 4/3rds rule use for the interviews. Nice composition. I really, really hate seeing centered subjects -- I see that far too often, having encoded a zillion videos professionally.

Some nice "Ken Burns" pan/scan of still images.

Nice tripod use.

But that rolling shutter is a killer. It gives it an amateur looks. Sometimes that actually works in your favor, but not too often, and not here.

The kid with glasses is out of focus. The DOF was too shallow. Oops. The guy on the couch is the same way -- fuzzy for being out of the focal plane. Again, oops. Don't do that again.

Exposure is mostly fine, but some shots lack contrast.

Overall, nice work, with a few areas to learn from in the future.

Since this is an old post, hopefully those lessons are now learned.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs