Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Premium Member

I have been using a Big Screen Sanyo 42" TV to not only watch TV ,but also to see how my Captured VHS footage might look on my frieind's Big tv's as well...Thinking that if it looks good on my big TV,...It will look good on other Big tv's too!...(Kind of like using Reference Monitors for mixing sound)...But then I have recently heard about how LCD TV's have a "BLURR" Effect or an anti-alailising compensation tectnology built itno them to compensate for LCD motion delay! So I am wondering if I need to use a Dual 23" computer monitor to see exactly how my Captured VHS footage is going to look on my finished product?....And as Lordsmurf replied to one of my posts....mmm so you are monitoring on a Big screen aye?

Last edited by rocko; 05-26-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Add Content
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-29-2014, 07:35 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
The biggest problem here is that many consumer TVs are NOT calibrated, and CANNOT be calibrated well at all. Making matters worse, all those shiny-screen TVs make the sets horrible for color correction needs. Only a few higher-end non-shiny LCDs tend to work well for color.

For example, my Sony SXRD (projection through LCD, similar to Intel LCoS) has very accurate colors, sans a slight black level issue. I'll often check my monitor against the TV, to see if they agree. And they almost always do.

So it really depends on which specific model TV you're looking at.

In general, computer monitors are better -- especially the 23" ViewSonic VP2365-LED.

See also: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...CERX3PEDX7B37A

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (08-02-2014)