Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Free Member

Not sure where this question should be posted so I'll try here. I just got a new (to me) laptop with an HDMI output, could this be used to play a movie or itunes video to my sony 1080i big screen tv through a home theater system?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Yes, it can work. I've plugged in my laptop via HDMI to a big screen, then use VLC to watch videos.

A dedicated Blu-ray player or a media player...

... like a Samsung player - http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=U...R7ODNWLSN5CRV5
... or WDTV media center - http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=U...PYZPWOL2RTFX5Y

.. is of course better, but the laptop to TV works great in a pinch -- like visiting relatives who have neither, but do have an HDTV to HDMI, and you want to show the some videos. Been there, done that!

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs