Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Free Member

Hi lordsmurf! I'm a fan of reading various articles on your digitalfaq forum and I was hoping you could help me out on this audio repair problem that I'm hitting the wall with. So, basically I bought this German bluray of a bollywood movie which was remastered by Rapid Eye Movies in Germany.

It contains two dts-hd ma audio tracks, hindi and german. The german audio track sounds like it was mastered for a new movie yet the hindi audio sounds like it's coming out of a tin can. The center channel of the hindi audio in particular sounds really bad.

I was actually thinking about swapping the center channel with the german audio so that I wouldn't have to touch the other channels at all. That raises another issue with the parts of the movie in which the center channel's dialogue echoes permeate through to the other side channels for effect.

So, here's the thread on doom9 which I posted about two weeks ago and the solution posted by raffriff42 worked a bit but still didn't provide the dramatic change I was hoping for.

My question is, what do you recommend for fixing this particular audio and would you recommend replacing the center channel of the German track with the center channel of the Hindi audio track and dealing with the "echo" portions by using all the channels of the hindi audio for those specific parts?

Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon!

- dansrfe

edit: Forgot to add the doom9 link! http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168375

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm not yet convinced that simply swapping out audio channels is going to fix this.

For sure, the Hindi audio sounds as if it's damaged beyond repair, likely the victim of over-filtering by a novice editor. Once audio has been digitally over-process, is extremely difficult to impossible to fix. Too much audio information is thrown away in the process. Same for over-compression -- same issue.

Acquiring a high-quality audio track for the Hinid would be more ideal.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs