10-17-2013, 01:55 AM
Premium Member

I'm currently using a Sanyo 42" TV for my Video PC,and I also have a smaller 19" Acer beside it, display set for exended desktop,and both connected to a KVM switch, to switch over to my Capture PC. My question is if the big tv might be adding a false motion blur (antialiasing) and not giving me a true reference of the actual video I am Capturing,and if a computer monitor gives me a better "reference" of what the finished video will look like?...My in-finate wisdom thinks that most people will be watching my finished product on their Big TV,so why not use one for a reference monitor while capturing VHS?...I also use nothing but the 42" for all other computer tasks,Ect...
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Free Member

even standard def broadcast looks like shit IMO on my 42 inch HD tv, so VHS REALLY looks bad.
i use a 22 inch LED TV on my capture PC and it looks ok
10-19-2013, 02:50 AM
Premium Member

Thank you volksjager,..I am a 50's or so age enthusiast and dont't know what IMO means,and am totaly stuck with standard def VHS material masters and content,(converting analog audio and video tape to digital),And I have heard that smaller screen views look great. Actually I heard on Leo Laport the tech guy that Two 23' monitors are ideal,but my budget and already invested setup does not allow for that.But Cheers
10-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
For computer work, calibrated near-reference (IPS LCD) grade monitor are best. Calibration is the most important part. You can get away with TVs (CRT, LCD, Plasma, etc), but calibration is still the most important. Otherwise, all your doing is correcting for a monitor, instead of correcting a video. And it may come out worse!

There's some calibration downloads in the Premium Member forum.

Yes, LCDs can blur, if the deinterlacing filter isn't very good. Many TVs have the issue. Only Sony has a good one, in my experience. Some LG and Samsung, on the better models, are decent. If you have a no-name (or budget/Walmart) brand, it probably add more blur on VHS sources.

Then again, you should be editing the VHS as interlaced (i.e, you look at interlaced video, and see the lines). Only watch it deinterlaced. If the is connected to a computer, using the VLC 2x Yadif deinterlacer, which makes nice progressive output to view. Not as perfect as the QTGMC method for encoding, but fine for watching with few artifacts.

Some LCDs are just blurry period, however, even with progressive content. My old Sharp EDTV is like this.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (10-20-2013)