Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Free Member

Hello guys,

My question sounds a little bit stupid I know. But I can't see a clear answer.
If I've created a lossless avi file with virtualdub and maybe using some filters. Wich program is the best for converting the avi to dvd. And does the program needs an extre encoder?

Witch site do you use for the filters. There a lot of filters and I'm wondering wich filters like denoising etc are working really good. I know that it also depends on the source material.

Kind regards,

Espanol
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

You can't just burn a file to a data disc to file and expect it to play*. DVD has a specific file structure, formats for the video and audio etc. It need to be "authored" for which you use an authoring program. For example the video is MPEG2 but there is a limited amount of resolutions and a range of bitrates so just because it's MPEGS doesn't mean it's DVD compatible.

For something cheap and fairly full feature give Corel Movie Studio a trial. It has some limited video editing features but features for DVD authoring, building menus for example, are quite extensive. Mainconcepts MPEG2 encoder is included.

*A data disc where you just have a file on the disc may or may not work depending on your DVD player. This extra features outside of the DVdD spec and vary by model. If it has that feature check and see what formats it accepts. The problem there is just becsue it works on your player doesn't mean it's going to work on your friends player.
11-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
This seems like two questions: (1) filtering video, (2) encoding to DVD MPEG-2

Your other posts here -- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/prem...-vs-video.html -- sort of covered some of the MPEG encoding question, so I'll make this a brief reply here. You'd mentioned ConvertXToDVD, and that can be fine. Personally, I prefer to encode and author manually, to better control what goes on.

Also be sure to read what thecoalman wrote about time/resolutions, as that's all important to keep in mind. 720x480 vs 352x480 is the big one here, along with ideal bitrates for each.

Personally, I'm not to keen on Corel Movie Studio -- or Corel anything -- so I won't suggest it. Adobe software is decent, however

If you want filters, use VirtauDub. And this site has a pre-built VirtualDub download with the filters generally needed to restore video.
See http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...lters-pre.html

I think that's it. If you have more questions, just ask.

And thanks for being a Premium Member.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Free Member

Thanks guys for the tips!!!