Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Free Member

My Hostgator reseller account is running really slow. Should I upgrade to dedicated?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This topic actually started in another forum. But several folks were being rude to one another, and the admins junked the whole thing. (Not very good moderatung, if you ask me.) It had LOTS of good info and comment. Luckily, I was still replying before it was trashed, and can copy/paste the good parts here!

Hostgator dedicated server run about 1/4 to 1/2 the speed of even a good VPS, much less better dedicated servers, but cost $150. That's insane. It's not worth that. If you want a dedicated box, at least get a good host -- EuroVPS, LiquidWeb, Namecheap, etc. RAID-10 SAS, 100mbit minimum port, etc. I think HG still limits dedicated ports to 20mbit-60mbit or so. If not on paper, then in effect (network congestion out the @ss). The drives are desktop SATA drives. Pathetic.

There are better hosts. Cheaper, too. (You are NOT getting what you pay for with HG.)

Since June 2012, there is no Hostgator company. It's EIG now.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
11-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanepax23
you are absolutely right. that IS NOT the hostgator I know. eig doesn't deserve to have that name. we shouldn't even refer to them as HG anymore
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Fry
You know exactly what's going on with Hostgator and their recent acquisition by EIG and all the problems it's brought. Yet you haven't made any changes in your little IM "turnkey" business that you're running. ...
Make the changes, find something more secure and robust, and shut up.
If you don't care enough to seek out a robust and reliable solution for your clients, then you deserve everything you're whining about.
I agree with this, FYI. Maybe not as harshly, but it's still truth.

And it's not just Hostgator. The same is true of any EIG brand, Godaddy, Yahoo, Dreamhost, kiddie hosts, amateur hosts, and other cheap/"unlimited" garbage hosting that's out there. Get something good, not just whatever's cheap. Because what you're* using isn't it.

(*You in generic, not talking to any specific person.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator
I have been with Hostgator for many years never had problem but after reading this thread, I think it is time to look at other options! Since Hostgator has been acquired by EIG Can you all recommend better hosting and support for resellers hosting and good VPS hosting companies.
- Dedicated -- Namecheap, LiquidWeb
- VPS -- LiquidWeb, EuroVPS, MediaTemple
- Reseller -- Veerotech, Stablehost, Stream101
- Shared -- Site5, Arvixe, Stablehost

Some of my other posts here go more in-depth on which you should use, why, etc. That's just a quick list. If you need help narrowing it down, ask me. There's quite a few good hosts out there. I just named a few real quick. You'll notice that NONE of them are "top 10 name" (fake list) hosts. I have ethics, and want to honestly help you find good hosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearman
What the likes of people like him forget (or is oblivous to) is HOstgator USE to be a Great hosting service. UNtil the buyout and server moves.
This is revisionist history.

Hostgator was NOT all that great pre-EIG, either. For shared hosting, yes, they were commendable. But still not best like Site5, Arvixe, and several others.

The reseller hosting had lots of problems. For years, Hostgator has been overloading server. Not just overselling, but overloading.

See these guides to understand it better:
- Overselling vs. Overloading: What Is Overselling? (Part 1)
- Overselling vs. Overloading: What Is Overloading? (Part 2)

Their VPS servers were terrible. Really crappy OpenVZ UBC systems, even by unmanaged host standards.

Their dedicated server were terrible. Again, even by budget host standards.

Hostgator was not a real VPS/dedicated host, but simply had this as a "me too" offering, to try and lure customers into staying with them. For years, they never offered such things, and honestly had no business doing so as they had no expertise in this style of hosting. Hosting is not just hosting.

They had chronic domain name problem -- i.e., losing domains, and "oops, sorry" was their response (even from Brent).

The affiliate program has been shady for as long as I can remember.

Again, not a good host, not really. Just shared hosting, and only if you wanted "unlimited". Nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanepax23
well, I've settled on site 5 so I guess we will see. For what it's worth, the guys at site 5 have responded to every email I have sent them in less then 5 minutes and have been very helpful with a personal touch that seems very sincere in there wishing to help. This is just the start but I can tell you the communication is night and day compared to what EIG is offering customers right now.
Yep! That's completely expected, and why we rank Site5 as #1 for unlimited shared hosting.

Need a good web host? — Read our 2018 Review of the Best Web Hosts
Quite often, problems with web sites are caused by having a rotten web host. Worse yet, many hosts try to blame you (the customer) for the problems! So dump that lousy company. Say goodbye to slow sites, unresponsive support techs, and downtime. Find yourself a new host today. Whether you need shared, reseller, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or dedicated hosting, something on our list should be a good upgrade for you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.