11-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Free Member

Hey everyone. I was at my Uncle's house for Thanksgiving and he showed me 6 reels of Super 8 film (one case said "standard 8") and asked me how they can be converted. I gotta say I got a kick out of seeing this old format in real life. I told him I have no idea how to convert them, but that I'd get the experts opinion and get back to him. They're audio only and it's of my grandparents making music, as well as my mom and uncle singing when they were kids.

I took some pics of the boxes which contained the reels.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0028.jpg (36.9 KB, 14 downloads)
File Type: jpg Photo0029.jpg (45.1 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg Photo0030.jpg (32.8 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg Photo0031.jpg (48.8 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg Photo0032.jpg (45.5 KB, 7 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden389 View Post
Hey everyone. I was at my Uncle's house for Thanksgiving and he showed me 6 reels of Super 8 film (one case said "standard 8") and asked me how they can be converted. I gotta say I got a kick out of seeing this old format in real life. I told him I have no idea how to convert them, but that I'd get the experts opinion and get back to him. They're audio only and it's of my grandparents making music, as well as my mom and uncle singing when they were kids.

I took some pics of the boxes which contained the reels.
Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving TylerDurdden389!

Sorry to be the one to disappoint you, but that is not Super 8 film. It's Reel-to-Reel Tape. What's that you may ask? It's audio...not video. If you look in the pictures it says "Magnetic Tape". It's like a big audio cassette tape (but often much higher quality).

This should give you good info as to what you should look at to give you better information as to what you have and what you may need to transfer it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel-to...tape_recording

It may be somewhat of a letdown. I think film (video) would have been a more exciting discovery than audio, wouldn't you say? If someone told me what I had was audio....I think I would have felt that way. It may be fun to go through the audio (most likely it's high quality at least). But it's certainly not film; this assumes the outside case reflects what is in side .

I have Reel-to-Reel tapes too.

Hope that helps you out!

Erik

Correction: you wrote, "They're audio only and it's of my grandparents making music, as well as my mom and uncle singing when they were kids." At least you know it's audio then. But, it's certainly not film. Super 8 film and Magnetic Reel-to-Reel tape are just different things completely (although granted they have a similar appearance in some ways) Your title is misleading, "Converting Super 8 film".
The following users thank ErikCalifornia for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-14-2013), TylerDurden389 (11-29-2013)
11-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the info. Erik. Once I figure out how to record this audio into digital format (assuming it's possible), I think I might take my mom's home movies, mute the temp music on it, and put these recordings in their place. Since her recordings were on an older format that didn't have audio, I guess wherever my Grandpa went to get the film converted to vhs during the 80's, the editors must've just added temp music so that it wasn't silent the entire time. I think it was a pretty common thing to do back then.
01-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Free Member

So I'm guessing in order to record these thing to digital I'll need a specific type of "reel to reel" player that has the connections to connect to a computer?
01-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Yep. It appears so.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Free Member

my dad had one of those reel tape recorders - but i threw it out years ago
i see them at yard sales every now and then for next to nothing
01-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
my dad had one of those reel tape recorders - but i threw it out years ago
i see them at yard sales every now and then for next to nothing
Well unless I'm typing in the wrong thing on ebay, they ain't "next to nothing" there lol.