Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Free Member

Dear Lord Smurf,

In an old post you mentioned being able to recommend a high quality transfer service. I'm looking for a service to do high quality digitization of some Hi8 tapes f you can still make a recommendation.

Here are some facts:

I have up to 30 tapes, although depending on price I might only transfer some, or sections.
I am transferring them right now with a Canopus unit, but I'm unsatisfied with the results.
Still, those transfers are useful for "offline" viewing.
My main concern is that the image quality of the Canopus transfers is not satisfactory - the image looks flat, and is incapable of saturated colors.
In some cases, the tapes have not aged well - there are significant dropout issues.
Finally, I get the feeling that this site is mostly for PC users, but I work on a Mac.
But I imagine that it would be possible to convert a hight quality AVI into a high quality MOV file without any significant image quality loss.

And thank you for your many posts and the sharing of your knowledge!!!

Any help you can give on this will be appreciated.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Hi there! Glad to help...

The problem with the Canopus box is that it uses the DV format, which was never intended to transfer video. It was intended as a shooting format (video cameras). You'll notice that Canopus was the only company pushing DV as being something else. (Matrox and DataVideo had them too, but did not push them with BS like Canopus did.) Reduced colors and softness is a direct results of 4:1:1 compression. VHS was closer 4:2:2 or even DVD's 4:2:0.

Hi8 is generally the best consumer format aside from DV. The one drawback to Hi8 is that it did not have "tracking" like VHS did, but instead embedded alignment issues in the recorded data. So hopefully none of your tapes are misaligned. Few are, so the odds are in your favor.

Dropout issues can be easy to repair (if you have experience, that is), depending on what's caused them.

I work on a Mac too.

But the problem is this:
- A computer is a tool. All tools have their purposes. You've not hit a screw with a hammer, right? You'd use a screwdriver!
- Mac has very limited video workflows. Mac is horrible when it comes to capturing video. It's main strength is DV/HDV editing from cameras, and authoring DVDs. Not this.

In other words, great tool -- but wrong task.

Once the video is captured with a Windows system, you can use either Windows or Mac:
- editing
- encoding to an uncompressed file for later editing
- encoding H.64 for streaming distribution or Blu-ray
- encoding MPEG-2 for DVD or Blu-ray
- authoring + burning to DVD or Blu-ray
- authoring + burning to Blu-ray

Capture Windows, edit/author on Mac. I do quite a bit myself. The ideal setup is to capture Huffyuv lossless AVI files, and those open just fine on a Mac using the freeware Perian for OS X (which adds more codecs to Mac). No need to convert anything.

When saving after the edit, you'll of course use the Mac codecs. Quicktime doesn't have lossless compression, only uncompressed or the lossy (but good!) ProRes422. You can also use MPEG-2, H.264, etc, to export from an NLE. I use Final Cut Pro.

(I mostly use my Mac for photo editing. Windows is nowhere near as good, even when boith have the same version of Photoshop installed. I have CS5 on both systems! The Mac is more attuned to photo work, with less stability issues, and with more speed.)

As far as which service to use, I know it sounds biased, but use us. We do quite a few Hi8 tapes each year, and probably a third of our clients do their editing on Macs. So you're not alone.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Free Member

You are an Educator (as well as a Lord)!
Thank you, not only for answering my question, but also for providing information that frames the answer.
I think others will benefit as well.