Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-03-2014, 02:18 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Title says it all.
Looking for this specific model: PX-B940SA from Plextor.

Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-04-2014, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

FWIW, these are re-badged Pioneer units. I think it was based on the Pioneer BDR-205.
02-04-2014, 08:57 AM

Hmmm...

What I want is a Blu-ray drive that can scan BD-R media -- not just PIE/PIF reporting, but also jitter reporting. From what I'd read, that meant a Plextor with Plextools/PlexUTILITIES. But if this is a Pioneer rebadge, then that doesn't sound correct.

I know the Pioneer BDR-206 DVD-R scans are terrible. Nowhere near accurate like the BenQ 1620. I can't imagine that the BD-R scans would be more accurate. Pioneer scans are historically very inaccurate. It's good from a TRT, but that's really about it.

Any drive we get should also support both LTH and HTL media.

I know that the Lite-On iHBS112 scans, but from what I've read it has quirks. The PX-B950SA is a rebadge of this one. Lite-On iHBS212 / Plextor PX-LB950UE is external model, which itself has variance in scanning from internal. Or so I've read.

I've read that the Plextor PX-B900A is a Panasonic SW-5582 rebadge, and cannot scan at all, even with Plextools.

So did a Plextor that could scan media ever exist?

We're working on the Blu-ray media reviews finally, and I'd wanted some jitter scans to go along with it. But I'll proceed without it if necessary. We have other data, but having scans is always useful, as it's another testing method to add to the mix. Jitter is often media foreshadowing, telling what may happen in the future. (And it's also NOT what most people think in terms of future effects. What I read online is often too Mickey Mouse of an interpretation.)

Something like this leaves more questions than answers: http://club.myce.com/f96/quality-sca...ftware-331371/
For one, that model numbers there don't look right.

I'm moving this thread to the Blank Media forum.

Ideas?

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Plextor hasn't made optical drives in house for quite a few years now. Their focus seems to be SSD these days. I don't think they made any of their own BD drives. I don't recall even looking at them for DVD recorders, so I don't know if they were still producing drives then.
02-04-2014, 10:30 AM

I've gone ahead and bought a LiteOn iHBS112-29. It appears that PlexUTILITIES works with this rebadge, and it can be crossflashed. That appears to be what I was looking for all along.

I can also get a LiteOn iHBS312-98 for $90, but unsure if wise or needed.

Sometimes trying to find accurate disc scanning information is voodoo.