Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Free Member

You said that Site5 is excellent but Liquidweb i sbetter.

I am looking at these two plans
http://www.site5.com/vps/

I am looking at VPS 3 or VPS 4 with them

OR
SSD VPS with 3 GB with LW
http://www.liquidweb.com/StormServers/ssd.html

I am not sure which to go with.

Really just looking for
1. OVerall Quality Uptime
2. Phone SUpport preferred but fast reply and resolution
3. No problem going above and beyond to help newbie customers to VPS
4. Someone not trying nickle and dime you for every little thing.

Also on your site are some of the VPS prices outdated as I couldn't find a VPS on Site5 that was $25
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-...web-hosts.html

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The Site5 unmanaged VPS starts at $25. The fully managed plans start at $72.

Site5 and Namecheap have somewhat unique managed VPS plans...

A VPS = virtual server. The main difference is virtual hardware vs. physical hardware (dedicated server). And until you install something, it's blank. Not even an OS. You get root access, and install what you want. Some hosts have add-ons for cPanel, LiteSpeed, CloudLinux, etc.

"Management" from a host often means they install everything for you, and will react to tickets requesting that certain actions be done -- as long as they support it. Most times, this means cPanel only. You still have root access to do whatever you want to -- which can be both good and bad, especially in the hands of novices. Too many people read random (or outdated) advice from blogs they found via Google ... then oops! "Help me Obi-wan Host, you're my only hope!"

What Site5 and Namecheap do is truly manage the server. Not just reactive, but proactive.

To quote Site5:
Quote:
We take care of all the operating system updates, server patches, security updates, as well as anything else needed to keep the VPS running and healthy.
Most "management" isn't that. In fact, many host admins are completely clueless -- especially the smaller/amateur VPS-only hosts.

Note that with Site5 (and probably Namecheap), you can still get SSH access -- just not root access. And I understand this completely. They charge $x amount for managing a server, and don't need the extra support burden from silly "help me, I broke it!" support requests. For the record, most other "managed" hosts won't help with third-party tools either (WordPress, etc).

Site5 and Namecheap are excellent for newbies that need a VPS/

To the end user, the managed VPS is like a reseller acouunt on steroids.

LiquidWeb does not prevent root logins -- but they've explicitly written what is and is not included. They're also a proactive host, which is one reason they're consider a premium host. EuroVPS, Media Temple and Futurehosting are as well. The list of "premium host" is not a big one.

The main difference with LiquidWeb is the hardware, datacenter, and overall infrastructure. It's just better.

Support is also better. Not by much, but it still edges out Site5 for VPS hosting.

My Advice:

For you, however, I think Site5 would be the best fit, being a newbie.

LiquidWeb probably go more "above and beyond" as they give "best effort" support for 3rd party tools.

That's really the choice.

Do not worry about phone support. Only L1 techs ever answer phones at hosts -- they're just glorified secretaries. To get the good L2 or L3 techs, you need to submit a ticket. Both of these hosts have extremely fast ticket support, with 15-30 minutes turnaround. Phone support would mostly be you on hold, and told to submit a ticket anyway.

Same for Live Chat. Mostly useless for tech support.

Any more questions? Reply here!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Free Member

Thank you for that reply. I read it on your forum! Very detailed.

I was sort of warned indirectly away from Liquid Web by the admin of a site i frequent who has been using them and is moving to wiredtree. He wouldn't go into detail when i had asked about them...stating that he would follow up after he migrated way, thus it was indirectly telling me to look elsewhere.

I went on and signed up with Site5 last night and I am a bit disappointed that it is going on 5 hours and i am awaiting a reply from them on something as simple as a cpanel restore backup...since they have ot do it and customer's can't. thankfully, it's only a dollar i wasted using their coupon so I am not too upset.

I am thinking of going Servint or Knownhost(Leaning towards Servint now, due to the fact Knownhost only offers SSD VPS in Texas and i prefer east coast location)

Do you have any knowledge of Servint and/or knownhost? Are these two safe bets? Which of these would you say is best?

I had wanted to go Xen but I am not going to waste time with Liquid Web and Site5 has not made a good first impression so far.

Are there any other Xen Managed with Cpanel host to check out aside from EuroVPS? But as it stands, I' am looking mainly at Servint and to a lesser degree known host.
02-11-2014, 11:49 AM

ServInt

A lot of ServInt customers have been leaving during the past year or two. There have been quite a few complaints about the support quality and time dropping off. I'm not fond of their company attitude, which is why I've never wanted to use them. I see it as a smug frat-boy environment. Several hosting owners have mentioned this to me in private as well. (Hint: Look carefully at everything they write. We, us, our. Not you, the customer!) It's just not the same great hosting company that it once was. I'd avoid that if I were you.

LiquidWeb

I'd be highly surprised to see legitimate LiquidWeb complaints. We met at WHT -- a site that is power by multiple LiquidWeb servers. In fact, as far as I know, all of iNet is power by LiquidWeb servers. iNet is pretty large, and runs at least a half dozen popular forums. And there are rarely any errors with that forum; ones that aren't admin-caused anyway (they are always tinkering over there!)

One of the LiquidWeb managers actually called me yesterday -- no idea what he wants, and I've not had the time to return his call yet. No, how many hosts actually call you to see how things are? I can name very, very few that care this much! LiquidWeb is like the North American version of EuroVPS, which has been our primary host for almost 8 years now. The reason is the uptime, high-end hardware, and fast+effective tech support. (We use LW off and on, as needed. Same for Futurehosting. Both a premium hosts.)

Site5

Migrations may be an admin-level task, and not something for general overnight tech support. So you're need to wait until the 9-5 crew arrives, and they'd address it that day. Most hosts do not consider migrations to be a 24/7 support task, and do it in batches during normal hours. That's very likely the issue. Had you ask something else, it likely would have been addressed within 15-30 minutes.

If you're just really that unhappy already, not much that I can say will matter here. All I can say it that Site5 is a good host, and we use them currently for a two-VPS project (unmanaged). But it's also pricier than LiquidWeb for managed hosting services.

Xen vs. Virtuozzo

Xen really is better than Virtuozzo or OpenVZ. KVM, Hyper-V and VMware are also good. When our VPS were Virtuozzo and OpenVZ, there were constant node issues. Understand that I've used shared and dedicated hosting since the 90s, but only started with VPS around 2006/2007. Why? Well, VPS was terrible before that.

Back then, OpenVZ/Virtuozzo was the only choice. It had a lot of issues in 2006 ... just as it does in 2014. It's the virtualization style of the previous decade.

The biggest difference was the true resource isolation now possible with the newer methods. But some hosts still use those older methods, as it allows them to oversell VPS nodes. Overselling shared hosting is fine (it's overloading servers that's the problem), but overselling VPS is crappy. And all hosts oversell. Anybody that says they're not is either lying, or they don't understand the concept of overselling. Either way, I'd avoid that host.

If you use Virtuzzo or OpenVZ, understand that it's a question of when the problems will happen -- not if.

We switched off of Virtuozzo entirely a few years ago. Since then, the number of VPS problems has been nearly zero. And some of those were at the same host, too! It's wasn't the host. In fact, Virtuozzo bugs are why several higher-end hosts -- including both LiquidWeb and EuroVPS -- switched to Xen.

Why better hosts like Knownhost, Futurehosting and WiredTree continue to use old technology is a mystery. I can only assume their bottom lines are better because of it. (Although I question that as well, because Parallels licensing surely exceeds the end costs of Xen, and possible even hardware-specific KVM and VMware.)

Namecheap is another excellent Xen VPS provider. We use them long-term, and it powers part of this domain. They have plans that are nearly identical to the Site5 plans.

Knownhost

If you still want Virtuozzo, then Knownhost.com and Futurehosting.com are best. They're direct competitors, also FH has evolved in recent years, and is now what we call a premium host. The criteria on this isn't published yet, otherwise it'd be a great for you. But when it comes to the normal VPS packages, they're pretty much the same.

I'd used Knownhost in the past -- I forget which project it was now -- and they were fine for the temporary needs of the project. (I prefer Xen for long-term projects; less issues as I'd mentioned above.)

We used Futurehosting for years. I wrote Vik just yesterday (owner) to see how thing are. Been some months since we last spoke.

There days, lots of hosts act as if one same-continent location is better than the other. But it's just desperate BS marketing. This trend started maybe 2-3 years ago at most, and it mostly originates at WHT. (Lots of amateur "hosts are there, and that was how hosts would circumvent the "useless post for to show signatures" rule. That's all it is.)

The typical difference between cities within the U.S., or cities in EU, is a dozen milliseconds. Two at most. In other words, no difference at all. (Your ISP has bigger variation the 25ms -- call them. You be surprised! Many don't consider latency a problem until it gets to 500ms!) So all of North America is virtually the same, as far as latency is concerned.

So unless you're using a VPS/dedicated to run specialty apps, like WoW-type games or stock trading programs (NOT web sites!), east coast versus central (or even west coast) doesn't make any difference.

The only reason to get a east coast VPS is to reach certain non-USA locations. You'd use Florida to reach South America quicker, and you'd use the upper east coast (North Carolina, NY, NJ, Philly) to reach Europe. Our primary demographic is actually the USA for this site, but we choose to host in Amsterdam anyway. The AMS-IX is extremely well-peered to the east coast, New York especially, and site speed has never been an issue for us. Even within the USA, using Pingdom, this site is usually faster than 90% than average. It's really the server that matters most -- not always distance. It also has the side effect of making it relatively fast to Asia, since we have a lot of legitimate Indian/nearby readership.

This all used to be common knowledge. Sadly, now, it's a little known fact -- especially if you only read WHT for info. Good site, but still lopsided with the facts.

... and I think that addresses everything.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Free Member

Kp, much appreciated! you gave me a lot of food for thought. I had initially decided to work through with Site5 but the support tickets taking anywhere from 2-4 hours(yesterday i had a brief issue that required me to open a ticket and find out what was wrong...it took 4 hours for a reply. Within that time, I managed to fix it myself, but four hours for an initial reply is just too much).

At this point and time, I am not going to complain too much. I paid a buck for their VPS and I had intended to use the VPS to test my site out with them and see how things go from there before i upgraded to VPS 4 for 120 a month....TOTALLY GLAD I DID NOT.

As it stands, I am probably going to give Liquid Web a go and just move my live site(it's a forum over to them).

Right now, I am conflicted between Servint and Liquid Web still. I've heard extremely good things and extremely bad things and things in between about both. But Liquid Web does have a refund policy, while Servint doesn't so if i am not happy with LW, I can at least leave them and get money back...Servint, i'd be out with a loss.

Such a touch choice.
Knownhost is pretty much out. I need something that properly able to reach my users in Europe(the majority of them), Australia, and NZ....

So between LW and Eurovps, which do you recommend?
02-14-2014, 03:22 PM

Based on everything you've asked for, I think you should go with LiquidWeb.