Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Free Member

I have acquired some hardware for capturing, restoring, and archiving some old family VHS tapes. I have spent a lot of time reading so many posts here, and the videohelp fourm, to decide on the best hardware to get at the best price. Luckily, I got some really good deals on all of this for around $500 total:

JVC HR-S9911U S-VHS VCR
DataVideo TBC-1000 Time Base Corrector
Elite Video BVP-4 Video Processor
Studio 1 DR-1000 Image Enhancer
ATI TV Wonder 600 USB

My question is, in what order would be the best to arrange these in my workflow? Would it go:

VCR > TBC > BVP-4 > DR-100 > ATI 600 > AviSynth > VirtualDub?

Thanks for all the help and great information. I guess VHS capturing doesn't change much over time, because I have found lots of great info that is nearly 10 years old now.

Last edited by chase317; 03-11-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Free Member

A lot of the info from 10 years ago is good, while other info is outdated so be careful what you read, especially when it comes to filters and post-processing.

I would suggest becoming a premium member for the $20/3 years and the site owners will be able to give you the best advice and follow up with any questions you might have as you are going along (you will have more). They use most of that equipment themselves and would be the best sources of help.
03-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chase317 View Post
JVC HR-S9911U S-VHS VCR
DataVideo TBC-1000 Time Base Corrector
Elite Video BVP-4 Video Processor
Studio 1 DR-1000 Image Enhancer
ATI TV Wonder 600 USB
This is all ideal hardware.

Quote:
VCR > TBC > BVP-4 > DR-100 > ATI 600
For the hardware, yes, this is the correct workflow.
- VCR + TBC (to clean image)
- standalone TBC (to clean signal)
- then proc amp
- then detailer

Use the proc amp and detailer ONLY as needed. Completely remove (unplug!) it when not needed. Yes, this means you'll rewire the workflow as needed. I do this almost daily. Just be careful with the plugs.

Use s-video for the whole chain

Quote:
> AviSynth > VirtualDub?
I don't know. Maybe. Depends on what you're doing. The capturing aspect is just VirtualDub, assuming you're doing lossless.

Quote:
Thanks for all the help and great information.
Always nice to hear.

Quote:
I guess VHS capturing doesn't change much over time,
It really depends on what it is. I'd say that half has not changed (hardware, mostly), half has (software plugins, mostly).

Quote:
because I have found lots of great info that is nearly 10 years old now.
Start new threads here for specific topics. Ask if the method (for whatever it is that you're trying to accomplish) is still used. For example, chroma noise was almost impossible to remove 10 years ago. Then methods to fight it came out, with varying degrees of success. Now it's relatively easy to remove -- IF you use the right software and plugin!

(And as stated, we do give priority to premium members. )

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs