04-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Free Member

Hi!
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge and if my questions seems odd. I’m still newbie-ish in this field so these questions are mostly made out of curiosity and for gaining a broader understanding of video capturing.

I’m using a JVC S-VHS vcr to capture some analogue PAL tapes with a ATI USB capture device. So far I’ve test-captured some material to my PC (with VirtualDub) using S-Video.

Anyway, I’ve read some place that a 21 full-pin SCART, among other things, also can output S-video signals, but does this mean that my S-VHS recorder automatically will output S-Video through the SCART outlet or are there other contributing factors?

If the answer is yes, should I even remotely consider going down this lane instead of using the dedicated S-Video connection for capturing?

Secondly, and speaking of S-video connections, are there any do's and dont's when shopping for cables in terms of quality and material (copper, gold), shielding etc.?

Thirdly, I’ve read that component video is better than S-Video. But it is my understanding that it would make no sense capturing analogue video using component as it would still only pass-through composite or S-Video signal (if there even is such a thing as a vcr with Component output, that is). Am I right?

Thanks in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

Just stick with the dedicated S-Video out. S-Video via SCART was added on well after the SCART plug standard was created, so the signals share pins defined for other functions. Unless the SCART port is labeled "S-Video", it likely doesn't output it at all. You may also have to change menu settings to get a SCART port's S-Video function to work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: lordsmurf (05-01-2014), Simon76 (04-30-2014)
04-29-2014, 08:37 AM
Free Member

Thanks NJRoadfan!

So I guess I would gain nothing even if it actually does pass the S-Video signal through SCART?

I copied this from the JVC HR-S7700eu manual:

For Y/C signal input/output, be sure to use a 21-pin SCART cable that is compatible with the Y/C signal.

If a connected appliance’s input is
compatible with Y/C signals, set to
“S-VIDEO”. You can obtain highquality
S-VHS picture. (For
connection, be sure to use a 21-pin
SCART cable that is compatible with
the Y/C signal.)

Y/C signal = Luminance/Chrominance = S-Video, right?

Would I gain anything if I bought a double-shielded S-Video cable with copper-plating compared to my current cable which seems to have a cheaper plating of some sort?
04-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Free Member

Stick to S-Video. Living in NTSC-land, I don't have complete familiarity with PAL, but the VCR is most likely taking either the composite or S-Video signal and streaming it through SCART, which means you are better off skipping another transition where you could potentially and likely lose quality.

Good cables will never make video better, but bad cables will make it look worse. The issue with cables is that marketing hype like that of the new Monster will hide poor quality cables behind a nice looking package. I currently use the older Monster cable which seem to be better, but I am on a cable hunt myself.

Do you have links to the cables you are looking at?
The following users thank premiumcapture for this useful post: badonica (03-25-2023), Simon76 (04-30-2014)
04-30-2014, 04:20 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
Stick to S-Video. Living in NTSC-land, I don't have complete familiarity with PAL, but the VCR is most likely taking either the composite or S-Video signal and streaming it through SCART, which means you are better off skipping another transition where you could potentially and likely lose quality.

Good cables will never make video better, but bad cables will make it look worse. The issue with cables is that marketing hype like that of the new Monster will hide poor quality cables behind a nice looking package. I currently use the older Monster cable which seem to be better, but I am on a cable hunt myself.

Do you have links to the cables you are looking at?
Thanks Premiumcapture.

Here are a few examples of the cables I'm looking at:

http://www.kabelbutiken.com/s-videok...o-page-search1

-the price is equivalent to ~$20 and according to the staff this cable is double shielded

http://www.everit.se/products/170352...8-meter-505-74

-the same goes for the 2nd link. This cable costs ~$13

(Please note that the above link contains Swedish text only)

Here is a link to a UK price indexing site:

http://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?p=373876

According to the Product details, this S-Video cable has got gold-plated connectors. I've read that the only difference from other plating materials is that gold-plating may last longer than other materials.

My S-Video cable seems to be made out of tin or aluminium or any similary coloured material.
04-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Free Member

I would go with the Sandberg. One money-saving thing a lot of these cable companies do is skip a pin on the bottom, where the cable still works but sacrifices quality. I would go to google.se and look at reviews if possible for your cable, but this issue is hard to detect if no one online has said anything yet.
The following users thank premiumcapture for this useful post: Simon76 (04-30-2014)
04-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I would go with the Sandberg. One money-saving thing a lot of these cable companies do is skip a pin on the bottom, where the cable still works but sacrifices quality. I would go to google.se and look at reviews if possible for your cable, but this issue is hard to detect if no one online has said anything yet.
Thanks ot Premiumcapture!

I'll look closer on the Sandberg cable.

Cheers!
05-01-2014, 06:20 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
S composite or S-Video signal and streaming it through SCART
SCART is sort of like component -- it's an early RGB connection.

VHS does not output signals that way. The tape reads as separate luma and chroma. Some better VCRs (especially the S-VHS decks suggested at this site) output the original separate video -- s-video! Other cram it together into one signal, or composite -- a "composited" signal! The video is not any kind of RGB source, which is why SCART (and component) is not suggested.

SCART was an early type of EU for video, uniting the countries. But the connector itself was not the great. s-video would have been just as good.

I think the French made it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Simon76 (05-01-2014)
05-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
SCART is sort of like component -- it's an early RGB connection.

VHS does not output signals that way. The tape reads as separate luma and chroma. Some better VCRs (especially the S-VHS decks suggested at this site) output the original separate video -- s-video! Other cram it together into one signal, or composite -- a "composited" signal! The video is not any kind of RGB source, which is why SCART (and component) is not suggested.

SCART was an early type of EU for video, uniting the countries. But the connector itself was not the great. s-video would have been just as good.

I think the French made it.
Thanks lodsmurf for clarifying. In other words, S-Video is the ideal connection for capturing analogue video.