05-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Free Member

I am trying to deinterlace a video in Handbrake and I have the choice between strict and loose anamorphic. With loose anamorphic the dimensions are preserved, but will this convert the video to square pixels from non-square pixels? I intend to upload this video to YT. Or it loose not worth the width reduction?

When I uploaded an interlaced video and a version deinterlaced via handbrake, the deinterlaced video appeared wider than the interlaced version, despite having smaller dimensions than the interlaced video when played on my computer?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Free Member

Handbrake is great for files you are using on mobile devices and computers, but if you are going straight to youtube, there are programs that will do the conversion before you upload and it will upload exactly as it plays. Youtube's online conversion is meant for efficiency over quality.

I would use xmedia recode instead. It will do a better job than youtube and is more suited than handbrake for this.
The following users thank premiumcapture for this useful post: Winsordawson (05-22-2014)
05-21-2014, 03:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
If not using MainConcept (Rovi), I would highly suggest Avidemux instead.

It's one of the guides I'm working on right now. I'm working on several, based on current issues from members. It's why I've been MIA this month.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Winsordawson (05-22-2014)
05-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
Handbrake is great for files you are using on mobile devices and computers, but if you are going straight to youtube, there are programs that will do the conversion before you upload and it will upload exactly as it plays. Youtube's online conversion is meant for efficiency over quality.

I would use xmedia recode instead. It will do a better job than youtube and is more suited than handbrake for this.
Thank you but I have a Mac so I don't think I can use xmedia.
05-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
If not using MainConcept (Rovi), I would highly suggest Avidemux instead.

It's one of the guides I'm working on right now. I'm working on several, based on current issues from members. It's why I've been MIA this month.
Thanks, it appears there is a mac version of Avidemux. For deinterlacing is the Tdeint or Yadif filter better (I don't have much motion), or something else? And do you know if anamorphic is best suited for Youtube?
05-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Free Member

I think its all square pixels, I use a Mac too but have parallels installed.

I always default to yadif if its there. Not necessarily the best, but its predictable.
05-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
I think its all square pixels, I use a Mac too but have parallels installed.

I always default to yadif if its there. Not necessarily the best, but its predictable.

But isn't anamorphic only useful for tv outputs? Since I am converting dv I am dealing with non-square pixels.

For some reason the decomb bob in handbrake didn't make a discernible difference. I then tried the TDeint and Yadif filters (separately) in Avidemux. I could not tell any difference between the two, and they were very similar to my original. Nevertheless, because Avidemux does not take .mov files, I had to first output an mpeg file, which Avidemux deinterlaced. By that point I could see slight blocking artifacts.

Overall I could not tell the difference between the interlaced and deinterlaced Youtube versions of my video. I'm thinking my best bet is just to upload pro res to Youtube, and hope their deinterlacing improves with time.
05-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Site Staff | Video

- QTGMC is best.
- Yadif next best.
- Some Yadif mods exist to improve of Yadif. TDeint is like a Yadif mod. Most mods are the deinterlacer + a NNEDI version. (By itself, NNEDI is mostly useless.)
- This is all scripted. Something like Avidemux is just a GUI for the filters.

Yes, DV is non-square.

I would convert .mov to lossless, either in Mac native software, or with VirtualDub in Wine.

A Yadif mod is likely how Youtbe is doing things these days, as its probably using a custom ffmpeg server. So DIY vs letting Youtube do it for you may have the same results. Only something like QTGMC -- especially a QTGMC with the switches -- would truly be better.

It may seem like "wasted effort" in some ways, but at least you now know, with your own eyes, what the loss difference is between the methods. And to me, that's never wasted effort!

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Winsordawson (05-23-2014)
05-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
- QTGMC is best.
- Yadif next best.
- Some Yadif mods exist to improve of Yadif. TDeint is like a Yadif mod. Most mods are the deinterlacer + a NNEDI version. (By itself, NNEDI is mostly useless.)
- This is all scripted. Something like Avidemux is just a GUI for the filters.

Yes, DV is non-square.

I would convert .mov to lossless, either in Mac native software, or with VirtualDub in Wine.

A Yadif mod is likely how Youtbe is doing things these days, as its probably using a custom ffmpeg server. So DIY vs letting Youtube do it for you may have the same results. Only something like QTGMC -- especially a QTGMC with the switches -- would truly be better.

It may seem like "wasted effort" in some ways, but at least you now know, with your own eyes, what the loss difference is between the methods. And to me, that's never wasted effort!
Thanks again---I was trying to use Virtualdub in wine as you said but in order to install the filters I needed to operate an .inf file. I believe you said to use DOS prompt in wine, but I asked an expert online--I could find little mention on forums--and he said that there is no DOS prompt in wine, only DOSBox. Though I don't know how using DOSBox would work with wine. I can't right click wine for the DOS Prompt because I open it via terminal.
05-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Free Member

It seems that QTGMC is only available via Avisynth. From reading it appears the best deinterlacer for Virtualdub is Yadif, but I don't know whether Virtualdub's Yadif is much better than Handbrake's or Avidemux, the latter two of which I have used.

Some indicated that MSU deinterlacer for VD is better than Yadif, but does anyone have experience with it?
06-03-2014, 05:15 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsordawson View Post
Some indicated that MSU deinterlacer for VD is better than Yadif, but does anyone have experience with it?
It's too bad VirtualDub does not (yet?) have a QTGMC plugin.

MSU has a bad habit of using math to "prove" their scripts are better, yet it's not the case. The filters may be better mathematically, but not visually. And I watch video with my eyes, not a calculator.

Tags
anamorphic, handbrake