Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Free Member

I am in search for a new hosting company.
I have only 1 website with 3-4 email accounts.
I use wordpress for my website.
I use email delivery software (GroupMail) on my computer to send my newsletters and other emails.
I have several groups in that software that are 1,000-2,000 contacts.

What I have found is that most host will only allow so many emails to go through their system per hour / day.

When I send a newsletter to my 1,000 Customer/Prospect list I have to pause the sending after 200 contacts for 1 hour. (My current hosting only allows 200 emails per hour). It takes 5 hours to send to that list. When I send to all of my contacts, it takes a very long time.

I think that some hosting companies will do the actual throttling on their end and some tell me I have to do it on my end and then some say if I were to send more than their limit then the number past their limit will never be sent.

If anyone has any recommendations to a hosting company that is the BEST for sending email through I would really appreciate the information.

Thanks in advance.
Cas

edit- I haven't had any responses so I changed the title a little. Maybe the new title will generate some reply's.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-29-2014, 06:03 AM
Free Member

Maybe this can help: http://support.mailpoet.com/knowledg...ending-limits/
07-29-2014, 07:08 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

You'll have to use a VPS for this -- there's no way around it. While the site resources may be small, and it only has 1 site with a few email accounts, it does not matter. It needs more "email resources", and you'll never get that from shared hosting.

The above list, while helpful, is ultimately useless. They all limit email...

...and several of those hosts are horrible.

The other option is to use an SMTP service, such as Mandrill or SendGrid.
- Mandrill is cheap, but is some still spam blacklisted. The first few monthly emails are free.
- SendGrid is a bit more expensive than Mandrill, but the servers are rarely blacklisted. ($10 per 40k emails per month)
- Amazon SES is horrible -- do not use it. It's cheap, but it's crappy.

The reason for all of this is spam -- nobody wants to have their servers listed. And for only $5-10/monthly, it's not worth the risk (by the host) to give more/unlimited email delivery. You're just not fit for shared hosting, either in whole (site, email, etc) or in part (email needs only).

I'd just spend the $10 to get SendGrid if I were you.

Who's the current host? They should have mentioned this option to you!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Free Member

I am interested in sending newsletters, but I was planning to use Mailchimp. This is different than sending email through hosting, right?
Just to be clear... will I need VPS in order to use Mailchimp?
Is Mailchimp a good company to use?
08-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

You use Mailchimp "on site" -- their templates, their management, etc.

Mandrill is just a pipe that you rent -- the emails are completely maintained and sent on your end through their server. FYI: Mandrill is MailChimp's SMTP service.

Mailchimp is fine, yes.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.

Tags
delivery, email, hosting company, throttle