Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Free Member

so, i have my prized 1988 MITSU HS-U70 S-VHS stored away in my closet
for several years now, and i pull it out for a little exercise... and i get this crap;

well, everything about this VCR works good as new... EXCEPT FOR THE VIDEO. sound is rick solid and stable, everything checks perfectly otherwise.

i even cleaned the head/tape path... the proper way, carefully, both with a WET-TYPE ALLSOP cassette and manually by hand with a microfiber cloth
doused in 91% isopropyl. slow, careful HORZONTAL movements.

so, can anyone give me ideas on what could be wrong? something electronic? because this deck otherwise sure seems UTTERLY PERFECT mechanically...

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-04-2014, 01:45 AM
Free Member

When it was stored in your closet, did you have a lot on top of it? Those metal tops bend pretty easy...
08-04-2014, 03:25 AM
Free Member

Used electronic devices don't like storage. This is because the capacitors drift in value after being powered up and subject to heating and when they then sit idle after that they then don't work right when used again. It's important to power up older items at least once a month even just for a few minutes.

I am repairing a 1980's JVC VCR and all capacitors of certain values have gone bad. Some are fine however which tells me that it was the conditions that they were operating at in the machine that dictates how they age when left to sit.

Take the top off and look over the video and power boards for any weeping capacitors - they don't bulge like new modern ones.
08-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Free Member

i was beginning to suspect something like that... thank you, i'll look into that...

to be honest, this VCR became an instant classic for me, when, back in 2005, i went to an annual electric co-op cookout
that had a kids corner with a mobile A/V cart set up with a late 80's 20-some-in. MITSUBISHI CRT,
a PlayStation 2 running DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION into it, and an HS-U70, the most beautiful VCR i had ever seen to that day.

they allowed me to take some quick pics, with the cheapie snapshot digicam i had on me at the time.
i drooled over the resulting pics for what felt like years, until i came across the gunmetal-faced copy i now own back around 2008 or so;

08-05-2014, 03:05 AM
Free Member

That U70 looks quality indeed and I hope you manage to fix it. It may be well worth going over the whole machine and checking each area for problems like dirt and worn items.

Do you know how to look for video head wear with a loupe? Before spending money and time fixing it see how much active life is left in the heads and if they are worn down to 70-80% then at least look into the price for a new upper drum. I fitted a new head to a 1988 JVC yesterday evening (old one was 80% worn) and the improvement is marked with less drop-outs on screen and better contrast.
11-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Free Member

if i can get this beauty fixed for cheap, i will someday. otherwise, my new HS-U80 keeps me plenty satisfied...