Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-14-2014, 03:56 PM
Free Member

MAKE SURE YOU USE AN OFFICIAL POWER CABLE FOR YOUR CAMERA or video playback quality could be affected.....

I'll explain...

I have a Sony TRV25 8mm video camera that I used for filming our old family videos . I lost the original power cable , so I bought a "replacement power cable " off ebay .

I get the "new" replacement power cable and I'm having major problems with the quality of the video playback , it looks like the tracking was off , grainy , static , jumping picture.....I thought maybe the camera was messed up / heads dirty , then I thought maybe my old tapes are messed up......the camera functioned completely normal except the quality of the video playback looked bad .

So thinking maybe the camera went bad I bought another Sony TRV25 off ebay that came with THE ORIGINAL OFFICIAL POWER CABLE . Guess what.....that "replacement power cable" was causing ALL the video playback issue . I don't know why , or how , but that damn "replacement power cable" made the video quality horrible , like the tracking was off .

How is that possible ???? I don't get it . Its the craziest thing I would have never figured it out . I would have NEVER thought a power cable could mess up the video playback quality .

I can plug in the replacement power cable , press play and the tracking/video quality is horrible ....swap power cables with the official Sony power cable , press play , and perfect video quality playback .

Just thought I'd share my experience . I was depressed thinking my tapes were ruined and that these old video cameras were all breaking down......nope....it was the damn power cable , who would have thought that would affect video quality .
The following users thank JLegnon for this useful post: volksjager (08-14-2014)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Free Member

NEVER use a non-Sony adapter with your Sony cam
i tried a $5 ebay ac adapter once and it fried a good camcorder
only use genuine Sony ac adapters
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-22-2014)
08-14-2014, 11:28 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
NEVER use a non-Sony adapter with your Sony cam
i tried a $5 ebay ac adapter once and it fried a good camcorder
only use genuine Sony ac adapters
Amen !!!

I wasted two hours trying to figure out why the playback of my tapes looked so horrible . I was about to try and rent a high end 8mm play back device to transfer my tapes . Having tried everything , I thought what the hell , lets give this original power cable a try .......and it fixed the problem .

What a nightmare . I know theres many people out there that think their camera or tapes are messed up when thats actually not the case .
08-22-2014, 06:35 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
This thread is interesting. I'd never guess it was the power cable.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-24-2014, 12:30 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
This thread is interesting. I'd never guess it was the power cable.
Well since the grand master Lord Smurf is interested , I shot a quick video showing the improved video quality just by swapping the power adapters .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpE4...ature=youtu.be

08-24-2014, 01:56 AM
Free Member

Wow. Nice solve.
08-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
It's a rolling intermittance that looks like tracking. Interesting.

Note: NEVER just pull power when a tape is playing!!! Stop, maybe even eject first. Then turn it off or on, put the tape back, and play.
Did I see that correctly -- you just pulled the power cord from the playing deck?

I also embeeded your video here.

[youtube]JpE4MzM86kc[/youtube] is the code to embed videos. Just replace the Youtube string.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
It's a rolling intermittance that looks like tracking. Interesting.

Note: NEVER just pull power when a tape is playing!!! Stop, maybe even eject first. Then turn it off or on, put the tape back, and play.
Did I see that correctly -- you just pulled the power cord from the playing deck?

I also embeeded your video here.

[youtube]JpE4MzM86kc[/youtube] is the code to embed videos. Just replace the Youtube string.
Yeah I was just yanking out the power cable and slapping in the other one !!! I didn't know that could damage anything .

Normally I don't do it that way , I was just trying to quickly compare the two video examples .
08-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

Things COULD have been worse. My sister lost about a years worth of video due to this incident. I still have the non-working 1.8in HD out of that camcorder for the day she decides to go with a data recovery service.
08-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Free Member

Wow , that really sucks !
If I lost video footage and broke a camera........I'd be pissed !

eres the seller on ebay where I got my crappy replacement power cord from ,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110932996116...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT