Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-31-2014, 11:19 AM
Free Member

I'm working with original source footage shot with a Panasonic TM90 at 1080/60p.

I've edited the original source footage in Panasonic HD Writer AE 5.0 project in the form of trimming clips, combining clips on at timeline, adding scene transitions, titles, and background music. I then output the project to a new .m2ts file.

Now I'm working on taking this .m2ts file and authoring so I can burn to single-layer DVD-R and single-layer BD-R. I have two final .m2ts files, one 8.5GB and 7.5GB that will be two chapters on the disc.

I've been working with Encore CS6/Adobe Media Encoder CS6. I didn't really like the MPEG-2 DVD output so I purchased TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 and Authoring Works 5 (I got the bundle even though I've been fine with Encore CS6 for actual menu creation). I found the MPEG-2 DVD transcode from Video Mastering Works 5 to be noticeable better than what Adobe Media Encoder output

Transcoding for the DVD is pretty straight forward since it has to be MPEG-2. However, I'm a bit confused on the Blu-ray. There are options for MPEG-2 Blu-ray and MPEG-4 AVC Blu-ray in Adobe Media Converter. TMPGEnc Authoring Works has options for AVCHD Progressive and BDM and TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works has Blu-ray Standard MPEG (using MPEG-2) and AVCHD Standard MPEG (using MPEG-4 AVC)

I checked two commercial Blu-ray's (Hunger Games and Frozen) and see a BDMV folder in the root. If I understand correctly, these are "Blu-ray discs" as opposed to an "AVCHD Disc" and that this format is the best compatible with all Blu-ray players. The actual .m2ts files in the \STREAM folder all show AVC codec, so that tells me commercial produced Blu-ray videos are going to use the "Blu-ray Disc" format (referred to as BDMV by TMPGEnc) with MPEG-4 AVC.

The Blu-ray that Encore CS6 output has BDMV in the root so it looks like a Blu-ray disc format. The .m2ts streams from the Encore output shows that the video is AVC format, which tells me it uses MPEG-4 instead of MPEG-2. So that begs the question, why would one use an MPEG-2 Blu-ray? Is this for creating a Blu-ray by burning it to a DVD-R instead of a DVD-R? I've found references to this? What's the benefit here? Cant' a DVD player only play DVD spec stuff in general (720x480@30i/p max) or can it playback higher, such as if you mastered an MPEG-2 Blu-ray 1920x1080@30p or @60p) ?

Ultimately, I want to author this footage to a DVD-R SL (and in the future, I may do DVD-R DL) and a BD-R SL with the best quality and compatibility of players. The DVD side seems pretty trivial at this point, but on the BD side there seems to be a variety of options, and I don't know what to do. I'm even willing to go buy another piece of software(s) if it makes sense. Hopefully someone can help me understand a bit better!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Wow. Never heard of anyone downgrading from Adobe Media Encoder (Mainconcept/Rovi) to TMPGEnc. That's a new one.

I can understand the desire for easier DVD and Blu-ray authoring. TMPGEnc follows the specs almost 100%, while Adobe does whatever it wants. It ignores a huge chunk of the DVD and BD specs.

Blu-ray is either MPEG-2 or H.264 (AVCHD).

The main reason for using MPEG-2 on DVD is for interlaced content. H.264 doesn't handle it as well. SD 720x480 @ 15mb/s MPEG-2 is awesome quality, and better than DVD (which had a max of about 9mb/s). For HD (which is almost always progressive), you're right, there's not really a point. Only interlaced HD would best be served as MPEG-2.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs