Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Free Member

I am trying to capture VHS using a Panasonic AG-1970 VCR and a video capture card that I can describe as follows:

1. Virtual VCR identifies the video capture device as "Hauppauge WinTV 885 Video Capture"
2. Device Manager identifies the device as "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 (Model 78xxx, Combo ATSC/QAM)"
3. On the card itself, it reads:

"WinTV HVR-1800
ATSC/QAM
NTSC/FM
78521 LF
REV C1E9"

I have a feeling it is a driver or software issue because I cannot seem to capture any audio using either VirtualDub or Virtual VCR, though video seems to capture fine. Also, I could not capture video or audio using either Premiere 2.0 or Premiere CS4.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit on an i7-3770K with 8 GB RAM. I can provide further details if necessary.

Thanks and any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

-- merged --

I wanted to add that I am attempting to capture the VHS video uncompressed for later conversion into a long-term storage format for hard drive backup and conversion into a DVD-friendly format for burning/watching at home.

I'm looking for recommendations on which drivers and software are best for my situation. Thanks.

-- merged --

The driver I have installed can be found here: http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/softw...1_51_31310.exe

In this thread, the OP had my card and it was recommended instead to use the ATI 600 USB. Is that correct? If so, there are a few on eBay around $50-60, which is an acceptable price if my captures will work.

I don't mind buying new hardware, but is something like this (which I already own) equivalent to the ATI 600 USB?

Also, if it is at all possible to get my setup running with my HVR-1800 that would be awesome because I do want to leave this thread as evidence for future Googlers. Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Are you sure that's you're selecting the correct audio input in VirtualDub?

VirtualDub-audio-capture.jpg

Premiere isn't really a capture tool anyway, so no loss there. VirtualDub is the ideal capture tool.

SIIG doesn't make their own hardware; they rebadge. It's an "EasyCap"/DC60 clone. That's most definitely NOT an ATI 600 card, and it's not comparable. Those cards have earned the nickname "easycrap".

Hauppauge products are usually hardware encoders (MPEG-2, H.264), and only work with the included WinTV software. I've never seen one capture uncompressed or lossless AVI in something like VirtualDub. If this card is working is working in VirtualDub for you, for the video, then you can always bypass it and use the computer's audio card to grab the audio.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs