Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-23-2014, 03:08 AM
Free Member

LordSmurf - I've been told you are the person to ask videohelp.com

LaserDisc to PC using Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition PLUS?

LaserDisc - Surrender (1987) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094078/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

I have installed the software, connected the devices, video or audio... followed instructions from quick install guide.

A couple options have been suggested; 1) DVD recorder deck [but there is problems finding a "quality deck"] 2) Using a transfer service.

Your advice will be appreciated

Thanks for your time & effort
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Most transfer services won't touch Laserdisc both due to copyright restroctions and ue to the simple fact that most do not maintain LD hardware. So that option is out. At best, a serious hobbyist may help you out. But be careful sending your LD out to strangers, as the cartoon/tv/movie hobby is full of scammers that steal your stuff.

I no longer have a function LD player, otherwise I'd help more. (I was never into LD back when it was current tech, and never had any from that time.) I was supposed to get another in a trade, but that person went MIA.

A DVD recorder is an option, if you get the right recorder. You'll get ready-to-watch video.

A computer capture card can be a better option if you choose to restore the video. LD, like VHS, had a lot of inherent flaws with both the video and the audio.

It really depends on what you want, and what you want to do. Fix it better, or just watch it digital?

Also, what titles are we talking here -- just that one?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Free Member

LordSmurf

There are only a few LD titles that I want to transfer to DVD, etc; all of the titles will NEVER be released on a newer format - "Surrender" is one of the titles. Need an easy method to do the projects.

Would like to find a way to do it with the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition PLUS , but would appreciate any suggestions on the DVD recorder option, if anyone knows a few high quality DVDrecorder models that will help...

Thanks for your quick reply LordSmurf
11-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Free Member

I would say the big issues with LaserDisc capture are:
- noise
- comb filtering (Y/C separation)

Ideally you would eliminate noise at the source, by using a player that was designed to have a higher signal-to-noise ratio prior to any internal noise filtering.

You want noise as low as possible coming out of the player, as LD is a composite format on the disc and must be separated into Y/C by your capture device or video processor (or the player, if you have spent tons of money on a premium model). Noise is confused for moving parts of the picture, creating artifacts in this process.

For what it's worth, you are also going to be throwing away perhaps half the color information if you use DVD or the HD PVR 2. LD actually has a higher vertical resolution for color than DVD's 4:2:0 colorspace allows, while its horizontal resolution is worse.

If you want a file playable on something besides a computer, the ideal way to retain the color resolution would be:

HQ LD player <composite connection> HQ video processor <S-Video or YPbPr connection> capture device -> lossless 4:2:2 AVI -> software inverse telecine -> software final noise reduction to taste -> software upscale to 1080p23.976 -> encode to H.264, etc.

If you don't want to spend much money but have time and are willing to learn, the "capture device" steps onwards can be done with a cheap USB dongle instead of the HD PVR 2.
11-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Free Member

Do you have an LD player to begin with? If so, does it have either optical tos-link out or coaxial digital out for audio?

--Leonid