Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Free Member

I've just got an offer to buy a Svhs-deck from a friend of a friend. It's a jvc hm-hds1.
What would be a suitable price to pay for a unit in working condition?
It seems to be in good working order. He also has another jvc Svhs-deck that isn't as good. I'm waiting for a reply to the model number.
What is acceptable to pay for a working pal Svhs unit without tbc?

Or should I reject the offer and get another unit?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Free Member

im not a big fan of the combo units - they tend to have way more problems - better to get separate decks
but if it is cheap than go for it.
that model usually goes for between $100-$300 - but you can get non-combos for that much too
11-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Free Member

I'd also prefer a pure Svhs-deck and I don't plan on ever using it's harddrive since I cannot transfer the files from it (i think) but since he claims it's the better of the two jvcs he owns I just tried to get an idea if the unit is worth getting.
I still don't know the model of his other jvc or his price yet since he is on vacation.
I was thinking of testing them out and if the price is ok get one or both of them.
I was searching for info on the unit and most information was on quality of recordings from satellite or on harddrive failures it seems to have a line tbc so it might be worth having for that part alone.

I was mostly after if you believe it to be a suitable starting point despite it featuring a hd. The most recommended units usually goes a little too high on ebay or sellers seem unreliable.
12-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Free Member

"The most recommended units usually goes a little too high on ebay or sellers seem unreliable."

Do you have an ideea how much did they cost new? Did you try to adjust that to inflation? Now add to that the work to overhaul them so you can use them today as close as possible to the initial specs, and consider that most of the parts are NOT available now. Only few old school techs and hobbyists can take care of that. A lot of times is not just changing capacitors, and it take time and ingenuity. Do you have all that before complaining?

Selling something on fleebay is a gamble because some buyers are unreliable. Check out the posts on this forum. Buyers are always right over there. I know people offering to service vcr units there and not anymore and I guess for some good reasons. I think you are very safe there and lucky to find someone to sell you something of value. And if you want something of value than you have to pay for it or just try your luck with something cheap, hey you never know.
Good luck in your search.
02-18-2015, 08:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Yeah, I agree, the new price was anywhere from, 2x to 10x for equipment, when it was new. eBay prices are really a steal of a deal -- assuming the unit is in working order. Sadly, many are not. Too many cheats on eBay these days.

I don't remember the HM-HDS1 being any good.

It *should* be excellent, being a S-VHS deck, but I'm not sure what will happen if (when!!) the HDD died. Is the whole unit then useless?

Be sure to also read over this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-18-2015, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Quite a bit of info on this unit including how to restore the HD contents after replacement: http://www.cippico.com/technical/jvc-hm-hds1/

Its basically a Digipure SVHS deck with a PVR attached to it.