Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Free Member

Dear all,

first let me say that the digitalfaq forum has been an amazing resource so far and I am thankful for all the solution statements and experiences shared.

Since I initially found this forum through google, I’d like to share my recent "lessons learned" while capturing and "preserving" old S-/VHS tapes. I would also appreciate receiving comments concerning the problems I am currently facing with my setup (see "2nd attempt").

Goal: to capture and preserve PAL and NTSC (Japan) S-/VHS and S-/VHS-C tapes
Hardware: Mac, JVC HR-S9600EU (PAL machine)
Software: iMovie; proprietary software (e.g. Elgato)
Seeking: applicable hardware solution (must support PAL-60)

Naturally, the guides written in this forum led to the purchase of a second-hand JVC machine. The output through S-Video with the integrated TBC/DNR activated is surprisingly good. The sound through RCA connectors is crisp and clean.

1st attempt:
Based on my setup, I have purchased the Elgato Video Capture device. Connection and workflow are flawless and simple, however, to my surprise the captured MP4 file was far from what the live capture window suggested in terms of picture sharpness, contrast and overall quality. Having read various user experiences, I was aware of the hardware limitation in terms of codecs (only MPEG-4 or H.264), but I didn’t expect such a harsh outcome.
Well, the last time I captured analog footage was more than 10 years ago. Back then, using Hauppauge and Terratec capture cards, VirtualDub/TMPGEnc and - obviously - a Windows PC (uncompressed AVI, MJPEG, MPEG-2). Therefore, I didn’t imagine the image quality of the Elgato capture would suffer from the above-mentioned codec based compression, creating an "artificially soft" result, difficult to describe, and even some artifacts from compression.
I may lack proper/up-to-date knowledge with regard to the Elgato hardware and the two codecs, but at this time, I cannot see any chance to improve the captured MP4 file, which is especially irritating since I have read a lot of positive reviews. Based on my aforementioned experience from back in the days, I expected the video file to be close to what the live capture window displayed...

2nd attempt:
Now I think I will have to invest in another device, preferably a Mini-DV recorder with A/D converter (although only the Sony DHR-1000VC is available for PAL over here) or an A/D converter such as the Canopus, in order to capture via firewire/iMovie.

My questions:
  • Again, I am limited to the Mac, and capturing DV video files seems to me as an improvement in terms of less compression compared to MPEG-4/H.264 - am I right? I have read user experiences here whereby people criticized DV as not suitable.
  • Another issue is the fact that I found contradictory information regarding PAL-60 support of Canopus ADVC devices, and no information whatsoever on the DHR-1000VC. Does anybody know a suitable device supporting PAL and PAL-60 in order to A/D the JVC's S-Video signal to firewire?

A Windows PC based solution would probably offer a broad variety of capture hardware, software and codecs. But like many Mac users, I no longer have access to such a device. Hopefully, this thread can develop into an up-to-date knowledge base for the (PAL territory) Mac users interested in preserving their S-/VHS tapes.
I am looking forward to your feedback. Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Free Member

pickup a cheap used windows PC - they are dirt cheap
Macs are no good for video capture - simply the wrong tool for the job

and avoid canopus / DV devices for NSTC - they may be ok for PAL
capture lossless with an ATI card
12-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Free Member

@volksjager: Thanks for the reply.

However picking up a Windows PC is not an option as I remember nothing but frustration from the days when I used to fiddle around with Windows based capturing devices (driver & compatibility problems, problems w/ PAL-60 output, no NTSC 3.58 support, and so forth). Besides, I would have to buy a second-hand PC w/ suitable hardware, a capture card, an OS - no, there has to be another way. Not to mention the fact that some of the hardware (e.g. capture cards; NTSC S-/VHS players) suggested in this forum are much harder to find in Europe. At this point, I'd rather riffle through the small circle of choices for Mac OS than having to catch up on 10 years of Windows PC abstinence... are they still running on pentium CPUs?

After all, I'm only looking for a device allowing S-Video and Composite input in PAL, PAL-60 (for NTSC S-VHS) and NTSC (3.58 for Laserdisc), supporting a variety of video codecs. Even if it was "only" DV or Quicktime stuff to begin with. Therefore, I'm looking into the Elgato Game Capture HD (not HD60), and try to understand why people have issues with the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle series (USB3 or TB).

In the end, my "lessons learned" and positive results on the Mac, especially in light of the few available options, can hopefully add valuable insights to other Mac users with similar prerequisites (did I mention PAL-60?). The more tech-savvy or professional users will turn to Windows PC anyway, right?
12-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Free Member

You got it all wrong. Everyone including @premiumcapture experiences frame drops using Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle. The thing is that they are unreported meaning that the end users wouldn't know about them. Because I captured the same material using 2 other cards, I was able to determine that Blackmagic drops frames and doesn't report them.

So at the end the conclusion is. Blackmagic has very good image quality using component cables. But Blackmagic image quality simply sucks using S-Video in and Composite video in. So unless u have a DVD Recorder with component out as a middleman, your image quality will suffer. Also audio is not synced to video with that device. As far as I remember audio was ahead of half a second.

If you can't use PC and determined to use Mac, at least spend more money and try Matrox devices. I can't say anything about them though because I haven't tried them. But if I were you, I'd just get a mid 2000s PC or laptop and would just get capture sticks to do the job.
12-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Free Member

@metaleonid: Thank you for the swift reply and for making things clear.

So the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle is obviously not a good idea for S-Video or Composite input? Well noted. Although I wonder - and that is just out of curiosity - if I would have recognized that drop in frames and that slightly out of sync audio signal? After all, the Mac related reviews I read so far were positive (apart from the USB 3 issues).

As for Matrox, they do not sell any Mac compatible video capture hardware over here... perhaps they sold capture cards for PCs at one time. I remember them only as a graphic cards maker from the 90s.

Well, I really don't mean to sound ignorant given the sound advice received so far or the information regarding video capture on Macs that can be found in this forum. But at this point, I actually consider going for a cheap "Logilink VG0011", which is probably known as "EasyGrabber" or "ezcap" in the States. After all, I cannot find any information about PAL-60 support concerning the more recently produced devices suggested here, not to mention the older products. Obviously, PAL-60 is something you wouldn't need in North America and I guess this forum has a tendency towards that market.
12-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Free Member

ezcaps are complete rubbish - ive tried them - ion stuff too is crap.

if you are dead set against using a PC you may want to consider going the JVC LSI-chipset DVD recorder method
you are probably going to want to invest in an external TBC like the Datavideo TBC-1000 as well
12-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Free Member

@volksjager: Thanks, I appreciate a straight answer.

Since the choices for Mac OS are so few, and since there are no reports regarding PAL-60 footage , I prefer to make my own experiences in that field. I've found a German language review of that "Logilink VG0011" device suggesting results that will satisfy my expectations. The same applies to a few credible reviews on Amazon, which is enough to give it a try.

That being said, if results are satisfying I'll post footage for comparison and feedback. If all video capture efforts on Mac OS eventually suck, as suggested, I can still consider a Windows PC.
12-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Free Member

Here's the link to the Matrox capture device http://www.matrox.com/video/en/produ...o2_mini/specs/

But I can't tell you how good or bad it is. I haven't used it. Maybe it is perfect. Maybe it suffers from the same problem Blackmagic does.

If you use Blackmagic, your eyes most likely wouldn't catch a single frame drop. However, I don't know whether the dropped frames are random or pattern. As I said, when I captured from LDs, on some LDs there were no dropped frames, while on others there were anywhere from 2 to 8 dropped frames in an hour. While in regular capture cards the dropped frame is reported and is replaced with the previous frame (i.e. 2 identical frames in a row), Blackmagic doesn't reinsert the frame. Thus when you capture with the regular capture card, the number of frames of your footage doesn't change (the length stays the same). But when you capture with Blackmagic, your footage becomes 33 milliseconds shorter after each dropped frame. I noticed some sort of the pattern on the one where 8 frames were dropped. If these drops are random, you will be losing audio/video sync.

If you use MAC, you can have bootcamp and install Windows on the 2nd partition just to use for video capture.

If you capture from the LaserDiscs, Blackmagic alone is not an option for sure. You need to have a card with good motion adaptive 3d comb filter. Also notice that on Mac you capture 8 bit uncompressed into MOV. 1 hour is 70Gb. On PC you capture into lossless Huffyuv AVI. 1 hour is 30Gb. Size doesn't matter if you have unlimited storage. But usually mortal people have limited storage so for them size does matter.
12-09-2014, 12:55 AM
Free Member

@metaleonid: Thanks for the reply and the link to the MXO2 Mini for Mac. I have found a handful of sellers offering that device over here. But once again, no PAL-60 support according to the manual. So I guess my consumer-esque PAL-60 capture approach requires a consumer focused capturing device, such as those USB/TB grabbers since they are made to comply will all eventualities. And in PAL countries, eventually that means PAL-60 playback of NTSC tapes.

Also thank you for the advice regarding the comb filter. I am using a CLD-D925 and concerning its comb filter, I have found positive and negative reviews alike.
12-10-2014, 08:05 PM
Free Member

What country are you from? just do bootcamp, install Windows on MAC partition and you have more options available to you.
12-11-2014, 01:13 AM
Free Member

@metaleonid: No offense, but sometimes I get the feeling that people here throw in well-established knowledge for a quick fix.

Bootcamp - Well, WindowsXP which is said to be the best choice for capturing video is no longer supported by the version of Bootcamp which I would have to use on my Mac (just like Vista). Sure, I could go Windows 7/8 if I decided to buy that OS and be willing to look into support of the capture software and additional software packages. No clue how well the hardware will handle the capture process though.
Just like I have tried WINE on Mac OS only to find out that I cannot install certain codecs (.inf) due to a "winemenubuilder error" w/o a fix.

Then again, some people had to choose Mac for certain reasons and thus invested in pricey software over the years. Software that can be used for video editing and the like.
After all, one of the major obstacles I am facing here is the lack of PAL-60 support. And I understand that this is not an issue for North America, but I'm sure there are enough hobby users in PAL countries running a Mac, hence searching for an applicable solution and eventually finding this thread. Not everyone looking to "preserve" a couple of old tapes is willing or capable to buy or build a dedicated system for that.

An update to my lessons learned...
  • Feedback by Elgato conceirning PAL-60 support of products other than the above-mentioned "Elgato Video Capture": no support for PAL-60
  • Feedback by Blackmagic Design regarding their Intensity Shuttle devices still pending...
  • Received the above-mentioned "Logilink VR0011" device that comes with the VideoGlide software. Again no PAL-60 support, but the first captures in Apple's lossless "Animation" codec look surprisingly good (15 yrs. old PAL S-VHS-C footage). Reminds me of the captures I achieved on a Win2000 system with Hauppauge some 10 yrs. ago, except that I can now capture in full PAL resolution without system errors, faulty drivers, blue screens, IRQ conflicts and whatnot
12-11-2014, 01:38 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ame-otoko View Post
@metaleonid: No offense, but sometimes I get the feeling that people here throw in well-established knowledge for a quick fix.
That's not true.

Many of us have or use Macs regularly -- just not for capturing. It's the wrong tool. It's like beating a nail with a wrench. Yes, it might work, but it takes a lot more effort, and won't be anywhere near as clean. The same is true with video.

Quote:
Bootcamp ... No clue how well the hardware will handle the capture process though.
To me, Bootcamp has never been an option. The Mac hardware is generally not very compatible with video capturing hardware. It's not just Windows that needs to be used, but "generic" Windows/Linux hardware. (That said, Linux is a terrible OS for the capture as well. Linux is actually worse than a Mac, because it can do almost nothing, whereas Mac is great for DVD authoring and NLE editing.)

Quote:
Just like I have tried WINE on Mac OS only to find out that I cannot
This will never work either. You can "not emulate" or emulate as much as you want, but the hardware driver issues will always be the root issue.

Quote:
Then again, some people had to choose Mac for certain reasons and thus invested in pricey software over the years. Software that can be used for video editing and the like.
Yeah, Macs are great for editing video -- but not capturing. I've edited on one for years, since it became a useful editor again in the mid-2000s. The true 64-bit architecture is what I found appealing, back when Windows was still releasing 32-bit software and mostly 32-bit hardware. The extra RAM what was needed. It's one of the tools on this very desk where I'm typing right now.

______

It would be great if Mac was a viable option for capture. But it's not. There's nothing you and I can do about it. (And I want use hardware and software, not create it.) You'll be chasing your tail for hours and hours, while the rest of us are capturing and moving on to the next phase of our project. And it's not like we love Windows, either. It's just the tool for the job. It is what it is.

Realize I've been working with video since the 90s. Yes, digital video too! It's never been a Mac (or Linux) world.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-11-2014, 03:11 AM
Free Member

@lordsmurf: Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree that Macs are not the best choice for video capture - that's what I have learned from the great resources here, as well as from other credible internet forums.

All I'm saying is that not everybody is capable or willing for whatever reasons to buy and build a suitable capture device based on Windows. I didn't choose Mac for some fancy marketing just like I didn't leave Windows because I was sick of issues with DirectX or Nvidia drivers. I'm sure the latter has changed nowadays, but I doubt it has for that "ideal" video capture setup based on WindowsXP. Therefore, I don't see a reason to move back to a Windows setup unless someone can provide information on a decent capture card (with PAL-60 support) and matching hardware components.
It's great to see that people who also work on Windows PCs kept up with what "old PC" or second-hand hardware to go for - I didn't. What I remember from the days of windows capturing is that drivers and hardware really had to match and needed sufficient power to work and capture decent results. I find that difficult to achieve with old second-hand tech.

Besides, my attempt at "preserving" in terms of capturing those old tapes is nothing but a hobby. And if this forum can serve as a resource to novice and expert alike, there is no harm in supporting Mac users with a decent workflow. In fact, the footage I have captured so far in Apple's lossless codec "looks" just like the picture on my TV. I don't have some fancy equipment to double-check this result. Then again, I don't have to as long as I'm satisfied with the outcome, right?
What better results would an ATI capture card provide? Has anyone captured videos with one of the VideoGlide supported devices and then compared the footage? I have the feeling some of these devices are only condemned because they are cheap.

-- merged --

For what it’s worth, I have uploaded a sample here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/65suomezgzo4le6/test.mov (I don't know if dropbox messes around with the video preview so you may want to d/l the file)

Source: 20yrs. old S-VHS-C tape (PAL), footage recorded 15yrs. ago
VCR: JVC HR-S9600 (w/ VHS-C cassette adapter)
Capture Device: Logilink VR0010 USB 2.0 (Mac) via S-Video
Software: VideoGlide (1.5.5) w/o any picture enhancements, standard values only
Container: .mov
Video Codec: YUV422
Audio Codec: no audio
Note: ignore the slightly dirty lens and mediocre camera skills

Now, I don’t mean to say this is the best possible final result, since there is always room for improvement. And I have no doubt that the semi-pro/pro users in this forum have significant hardware resources to produce much better results.
But with respect to the capture device (Logilink) and the source material used: what better results should be expected from capturing (i.e. before any further edit/filter, and so forth)? And what advantage could be expected from the PC capture cards usually suggested in this forum? Call me blunt, but the source material sure doesn’t look any better than this on my TV (except for the interlace lines, of course).
12-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
like I didn't leave Windows because I was sick of issues with DirectX or Nvidia drivers.
Regardless of OS, drivers are always an issue. Mac has them too, especially with advanced drive setups (RAID, SAN, etc) and backup software. Since Apple is still a "walled garden", not an open platform, few devices exist -- but I'll agree that they generally work without many or any driver issues. But therein lies to problem: what you need/want does not exist.

Quote:
I'm sure the latter has changed nowadays,
If you refer to Windows, it's only gotten worse. Windows Vista took out some audio/video compatibility with hardware, Windows 7 gutted more, and Windows 8 is completely useless. Windows 8 is so bad, that going with Mac OS X or Xubuntu Linux is what I suggest to casual computer users. The reason you switched is now 10x worse.

Quote:
unless someone can provide information on a decent capture card (with PAL-60 support) and matching hardware components.
What I remember from the days of windows capturing is that drivers and hardware really had to match and needed sufficient power to work and capture decent results.
The ATI All In Wonder AGP cards, on Intel board (at least non-VIA), on Windows XP, with dedicated SoundBlaster or Turtle Beach audio cards, generally works flawlessly. Some have issue, but not as many with this exact setup. Several of our current system were built from eBay purchases, where very specific hardware was sought out. I need to create a guide for the ideal capture build in 2015 (and beyond).

Quote:
And if this forum can serve as a resource to novice and expert alike, there is no harm in supporting Mac users with a decent workflow. In fact, the footage I have captured so far in Apple's lossless codec "looks" just like the picture on my TV. I don't have some fancy equipment to double-check this result. Then again, I don't have to as long as I'm satisfied with the outcome, right?
Mac is mostly a DV or HD ProRes422 workflow. It's a very narrow.

(What's sad is that the HD output is mostly confined to streaming or drive output, as there's no official way to discs aka Blu-ray. Adobe Encore can author it, and you can connect the BD drive, but burning is the issue. It's really lousy, like DVD burning in 2001 on Windows. I don't miss those days, tech-wise.)

So for SD video, S-VHS or VHS, that leaves DV. Your only real choice is a Canopus ADVC-100/110. Since you're PAL, not NTSC, you don't have to contend with that lossy 4:1:1, but instead use 4:2:0.

Older Elgate sticks were nice, but are hard to find, and depending on your OS X, may not work anymore. Newer Elgate is El Stinko.

As much as I had hoped Blackmagic would make Mac a viable capture system again, the cards are rife with errors. Users on this site have been reporting many issue for several years now.

One thing I've always wanted to try is the ATI 600 USB card with a Mac, and trying it via Wine or Parallels. It's been reported that the Mac sees the hardware, but nobody could ever get anywhere with the capture. That intrigued me, so I'd like to look into it someday. However, right now, I have too much on my to-do list already.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The ATI All In Wonder AGP cards, on Intel board (at least non-VIA), on Windows XP, with dedicated SoundBlaster or Turtle Beach audio cards, generally works flawlessly. Some have issue, but not as many with this exact setup. Several of our current system were built from eBay purchases, where very specific hardware was sought out. I need to create a guide for the ideal capture build in 2015 (and beyond).
Granted, I've found a system created by volksjager that was up for sale in the marketplace section of this forum. I imagine that system's spec will provide a starting point in case I ever decide to switch to a dedicated Windows system for video capture.
BUT: Do you know any capture device (card, USB,...) capable of PAL-60? So far, not a single reply elaborated on this issue. In the end, the most stable and near-to-perfect Windows PC doesn't help much if I cannot capture due to a lack of format support.

Quote:
So for SD video, S-VHS or VHS, that leaves DV. Your only real choice is a Canopus ADVC-100/110. Since you're PAL, not NTSC, you don't have to contend with that lossy 4:1:1, but instead use 4:2:0.
Well, the Logilink device I am testing right now offers a lossless Apple Codec (Animation), YUV422, MPEG-4 and H.264, apart from various DV. Furthermore I have installed the "new" UT Video Codec to see if this can provide decent quality/filesize ratios. At this point, I really don't feel like missing out on anything. And I capture in .mov container, not DV format (except for some old mini-DV tapes, of course).

Feel free to check out the sample .mov file I have uploaded if you think this makes sense. I don't know how much use it can be, but I am open to feedback.

Concerning noise that I believe to have identified in my aforementioned sample .mov file, I am using JES Video Cleaner now. The automatic noise reduction of that software provided results similar to that "cartoon filter" for VDub back in the days... smartsmoother was it?

Quote:
As much as I had hoped Blackmagic would make Mac a viable capture system again, the cards are rife with errors. Users on this site have been reporting many issue for several years now.
But you are only referring to the cards, right? Because anything negative I've read here was related to capture cards and not the USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt devices, except for the frame dropping issue mentioned earlier. The negative reviews I've found online so far with regard to the Intensity Shuttle series are related to USB 3.0 compatibility issues.

edit: I have created a simple DVD with my original sample movie and two "noise reduced/corrected" versions in iDVD. The video files have not been deinterlaced at all. Yet, the playback (DVD on HDTV) showed the interlaced footage with lines. Am I right in assuming that nowadays, captured footage must be deinterlaced before it's authored onto a DVD that will be used on a HDTV, whereas only old CRT TVs would handle interlaced video accordingly?

Last edited by ame-otoko; 12-11-2014 at 09:32 AM.
12-11-2014, 10:46 AM
Free Member

if you are happy with the results from the logilink device then dont worry to much about it.
if you are starting with good S-VHS tapes you are ahead of the game anyway
(most of the tapes i had where crummy RCA brand tapes in regular VHS mode - so they needed all the help they could get)

if you do go to a windows XP box then the recommend ATI all-in-wonder cards can capture PAL-60
(some users have has trouble with pal-60 on the 2006 edition so avoid that model)

this is my capture PC specs - very good and can be duplicated for under $200:
(i actually may sell it off as i have no more tapes to convert)

Intel D875PBZ motherboard - (best socket 478 chipset and has Sata ports)
4gb Gskill PC-3200 ram
intel 3.4ghz northwood CPU socket 478
sony optiarc dvd burner
ATI AIW 9200 capture card
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card
80gb WD Velociraptor - this is OS drive
2TB Seagate Barracuda - this is storage drive
12-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Free Member

@volksjager: Thank you for the feedback regarding the ATI cards!
Then I guess the "latest" All-In-Wonder HD would be the best choice? I understand the hard disc for your video capture footage is fast enough via SATA?
Well, as you pointed out my S-VHS-C videos are not in such a bad shape... mainly bad lighting and some noise. My NTSC VHS tapes are much worse, hence the need for a decent PAL-60 capture device.

@all: Well, my current Mac OS "workflow" (if you can call it that way) for PAL S-VHS-C involves capture in YUV422 codec (720 × 576), as mentioned earlier, and then auto-noise reduction with JES video cleaner, followed by deinterlacing and color/balance adjustments with JES Deinterlacer (both freeware), in order to author them onto an iDVD project.
I initially started this thread with respect to "lessons learned" so I am going to upload another sample .mov file with the aforementioned enhancements. I hope that my recent experience with Mac capture and enhancement can contribute to the broader understanding of the (obviously limited) choices and provide an alternative to the Mac focused video hobbyist who does not have a Windows PC capture device within reach. In the end, all this is a work-in-progress.
12-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Free Member

Follow up... I have uploaded another sample .mov file with the aforementioned enhancements from the same tape/capture as the first sample: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mj18glkbi5...t_enhanced.mov (d/l for original file, do not stream)

Screenshot:

The enhancements to the original footage, i.e. the captured video, naturally involves some trial-and-error. This is just the beginning in getting to know some of the few Mac OS compatible programs that appear suitable for my desired outcome. Feedback and advice are greatly appreciated. It is after all a work-in-progress.

Last edited by ame-otoko; 12-11-2014 at 01:30 PM.
12-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Free Member

Quote:
BUT: Do you know any capture device (card, USB,...) capable of PAL-60? So far, not a single reply elaborated on this issue. In the end, the most stable and near-to-perfect Windows PC doesn't help much if I cannot capture due to a lack of format support.
My card does, bought it around 2006 i believe it's a Hauppauge Cynergy 250 pci card.The problem with that card can be the A/V sync.I've recorded everything wiht it Secam B/L, ntsc-M,PAL and the infamous PAL-60 indeed.Best to use Xp for this card, tested on win7(works) but i have no controls overcontrast,sat,hue and it rec too bright somehow.I suspect later hauppauge cards (usb) still support pal-60 but you've have to make sure first.
12-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Free Member

I don't advise something that I haven't done myself unless I specifically say that I haven't done it (case with Matrox card). So I did use BootCamp on my MBP 2008. The other partition had XP on it and I used ATI 650 USB. I also used Canopus ADVC-300 with XP via BootCamp.

Another thing is that tons of people here advise ATI 600 USB. My advise is: stay away from the USB model. It screws up chroma.

Tags
canopus advc, dhr-1000vc, elgato video capture, hr-s9600eu, pal-60