Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-21-2014, 02:27 AM
Free Member

1. As I had connection problems with a 2TB Seagate external hard drive, I removed my one internal HD (500GB) and replaced it with the 2TB hard drive.
  2. I cleaned the 2TB HD with UBCD 511.
  3. I then downloaded the Windows 8.1 Enterprise trial version from the Windows site and unplugged my other, much older internal HD (160 GB), also a Seagate, in order to do a clean install on the 2TB drive.
  4. I used Rufus to create a bootable USB. I am using an 8GB new USB.
  5. The PC booted and gave me an error message (0X0070003) when it got stuck at Expanding Files (0%) for nearly half an hour; requisting drivers with this type of file: Setup Information.
  6. I opened the USB, and found all the folders, opened and tried a lot, but did not succeed to find the drivers. I then aborted the installation.
  7. I then cleaned the USB and tried “5 ways to make a USB bootable from WikiHow", using command prompt. The same happened. Stopping at expanding files (0%) and requesting drivers, as mentioned above.
  8. So, I am stuck. I can always try to install Windows on the 160GB HD, but as it is getting old, I thought of installing Windows on the 2TB.

Specs of the desktop:
2.8 GogaHertz IntelCore i5-2300
Multicore
2x internal hard drives (160 GB and 2TB)
Avermedia capture card
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-16-2015, 04:01 AM
Premium Member

Got a warning when posting this reply that this thread is over 27 days old, but hopefully you're still looking for advice on this--

That error could be caused by quite a few things. The Windows files are compressed on the installation media and they are decompressed for installation to the system partition -- hence being "expanded." A common cause of an error at that stage is file corruption; plus the same error occurred in the same way at the same time at least twice, which would also point to an issue with the files being read from the USB. The first and most important thing you can do is to verify that the MD5 or SHA checksum for the file you've downloaded matches the hash provided where it was downloaded from. This should always be done for any important file, with OS images being one of the most important for obvious reasons. If the hashes match, then perhaps Rufus screwed something up, there could be an issue with the USB drive, you could have a hardware issue somewhere else, etc. Or it could just be Win8 being Win8 and ruining your day for no reason.

There are a lot of things I'd change about your steps for this. I'd install either Win7 or Win10, absolutely not 8 or 8.1. As far as that goes, the install process is going the best it can -- not going at all. If downloading a Win8.1 trial was done to avoid spending money then consider either a Linux distro, an OEM/SLP Win7 install, a Win10 install, an OSX86 install, or a multi-boot combination of those, all of which are available at no charge to the end-user. Is there any reason that you would insist on having to install Win8.1, or are you open to the other options?

I'd also set up the USB drive manually with the command prompt and diskpart. It only takes a few minutes and gives the assurance that everything was done correctly and completed successfully. There are at least a few good guides for the manual USB setup. After cleaning and formatting with diskpart I'd also run chkdsk to verify the new filesystem before copying the files over. I don't have anything against Rufus as it is a useful tool, I just prefer not to use it.

Lots of questions about the hardware. First, let me know if I have this correct:
You have a desktop which had both a 500GB HDD and an older 160GB HDD installed. You have an external 2TB HDD which you removed from its enclosure and swapped into the 500GB drive's spot. You now have the 160GB and the 2TB drives installed, but only the 2TB is connected. The 160GB and the 2TB drives are both free of any data you wish to save. You want to install an OS on the 2TB drive.

If I have that correct, then:
[1] What exactly were the "connection problems" you had with the 2TB as an external drive?
[2] What brand & model is/was the external enclosure (not the actual HDD)?
[3] What brand & model HDD is the 2TB drive?
[4] What brand & model HDD is the 160GB drive?
[5] What brand & model is the computer they're being used with?
[6] Are you excluding the 500GB from this process? If so, is that because you have an OS, data, etc, on it that you want to keep?
[7] About how long have you had each drive and the computer?
|8| As far as you know, has any drive ever caused any issue or shown signs of possible problems?

If all the drives are fine then one option would be to use the 500 or 160 as the main drive for the OS(es) and set the 2TB up to have an equally-sized partition (or multiple partitions if using multiple OSes) for direct backup of the main/system partition(s), and then have all the remaining space on the 2TB for file storage and/or whatever else. But the first step is to sort out the hardware situation and decide what you want to do with it.

It also just occurred to me that if you don't intend to keep the 160 for some reason, there's a member on here who's in need of a 160GB drive for recovery purposes. Just wanted to add that since you mentioned that it was getting old and sounded like you may prefer not to use it anymore at all.
01-16-2015, 04:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
I've never heard of Rufus. (Aside from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. )

This was a problem on Windows 7 as well. And the fixes and suggestions were all over the map: bad drive, bad discs, bad motherboard, bad RAM, etc.

Windows 8 is really a downgrade from Windows 7 -- something that MS itself admits bu resolving problems in Windows 10.

If you're using the computer for video, use XP. Vista is next best, then Win7. Again, for video. If it's just a general-use system, by all means, consider Mac or Linux (Xubuntu). The era of Windows is losing ground.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
clean install, expanding files, windows 8.1