Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Free Member

If you could take your time and give me some guidance/direction, it would be much appreciated.

Which mpeg-2 encoder/program would you recommend that has the best output quality settings from a HD file to a (targeted dvd5) .m2v file?

I've been encoding for nearly 10 years or more and i'm just trying to get some feedback on which route I would take. From what i've read of your posts, it sounds like you know your stuff.

Any info would be much appreciated

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-07-2015, 07:45 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The best I've ever used? Easy. MainConcept Reference 1.6.

MainConcept 2.x was excellent as well, but far more confusing to use. And sometimes I saw oddities in the encoding of both H.264 and MPEG-2. I wasn't fond of it.

Adobe Media Encoder (AME) was based on the MainConcept SDK. AME has a custom front-end, but MC powered it. Sony uses it as well for Vegas.

I forget the exact year, but MainConcept was then sold to Rovi, which also owned DivX. Reference was renamed to Rovi TotalCode, though the SDK is still called MainConcept. Nothing really changed on it from MC 2.0 aside from the name.

The company was German, but is now mainly Russian. No idea what happened to the MC encoding team.

Last year, Rovi sold off the encoders to venture vulture capitalists: http://www.rovicorp.com/company/pres...usinesses.html

No idea what will happen to it now.

Attached Files
File Type: txt rovi-sells-mainconcept-press-release.txt (5.1 KB, 3 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-09-2015, 06:15 AM
Free Member

I am currently using that encoder, but I don't know why when I encode, the output file letterbox is not there. I'm still trying to maintain the letterbox when I go full screen but instead its gone and I can tell the image has been stretched and distorted.

I've been looking for the last 2 days of how to fix it.

If you could give me your settings that you use, it would be much appreciated
01-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
I think you'd best give us a sample of what you're working with. Usually HD isn't letterboxed if the original is 16:9 unless the image in the video is wider than 16:9, so something here doesn't quite match up. More information, please.
01-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Free Member

I figured it out. Which option would you choose for the output frame rate from a HD source to DVD?

23.98p->59.94i PD<----(no idea what the meaning behind this one means)
59.94i
59.94i DF<----(or this one)
29.97p

this is my last question lol... sorry for being a total noob
01-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
DVD is encoded as 25 frames per second interlaced PAL (50 fields per second playback) or 29.97 frames per second interlaced NTSC (59.94 fields per second playback). DVD can't be anything else. If you want progressive playback you'll have to encode as generic non-standard MPEG (which most DVD disc authoring programs won't accept) or use another codec for mkv, mp4, etc. Or if your source is 25fps/29.976 true progressive, you can encode it to DVD-MPEG2 using fake-interlace flags to avoid choppy/stuttery playback during motion or camera pans. If your source is film-based 23.976 progressive, use 3:2 pulldown to bring the frame rate to 29.97fps.

specs for PAL/NTSC/NTSC-FILM DVD: http://www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech

Last edited by sanlyn; 01-10-2015 at 08:33 AM.