03-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Free Member

Are there any versions of Premiere that dont require "online" validation? I like the box versions so in case I have a drive go down, I can reload the software with the cd. "OR" if they do require online validation do any versions "not" limit your validations? I know this is a touchy subject for software creators but in my situation I really want a product I dont have to repurchase due to a drive failure.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Free Member

Don't know Adobe about these days (the last Premiere I used regularly was 6.5), but many if not most vendors will work with you via live phone (once you get to a real person) to recover from a HDD crash if you have a valid and registered copy with serial number. Some products give you two activations out of the box (e.g., laptop and desktop). I believe Adobe does. The last activation-free Premiere may well have been Premiere Pro v1.0

The reason for on-line activation (like it or not) is to ensure the same licensed copy is not being installed more often than the license permits. The live phone person-in-the-middle process limits automated license violation processes.
Adobe may also have an on-line process to request it:
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/...-starting.html
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: sirbyron (03-02-2015)
03-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Don't know Adobe about these days (the last Premiere I used regularly was 6.5), but many if not most vendors will work with you via live phone (once you get to a real person) to recover from a HDD crash if you have a valid and registered copy with serial number. Some products give you two activations out of the box (e.g., laptop and desktop). I believe Adobe does. The last activation-free Premiere may well have been Premiere Pro v1.0

The reason for on-line activation (like it or not) is to ensure the same licensed copy is not being installed more often than the license permits. The live phone person-in-the-middle process limits automated license violation processes.
Adobe may also have an on-line process to request it:
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/...-starting.html
Good to know they will hopefully work with you over the phone. I know they are protecting their brand and product and dont want multiple users using one purchased product but I still like the idea of a physical product in hand without having to get online. I tried the "cloud" stuff but absolutely despise it....I dont have a top end system and it just seems to bog down my system when I have tried using it ... especially on first start up. Thanks for the input!
03-02-2015, 08:19 PM
Free Member

If you want a perpetual license (one time payment) version with actual installation media (e.g., DVD or CD), rather then the subscription model used in CC, the last version might have been Premiere Pro CS6. It still has the on-line activation, but came with media (or download to your media) and no periodic payments. Google around and you can find copies here and there, but generally not at a reasonable price.

The later versions are 64-bit, not good for XP or earlier OS.

You can find other NLEs that are better for many purposes, and available at substantially lower price points.