04-04-2015, 02:35 AM
Premium Member

I have a lot of "-VR", and some "+VR" mode DVD's that I made on an L.G. VHS to DVD Recorder...Thankfully, I always labeled all of my home recorded DVD's with Title,brief content on top, and on bottom of DVD I marked the Recorder Brand,Date recorded, and Record Mode;( LG VR or Video mode). The Attraction/Hype back then was that you could EDIT your "-VR mode,-RW" DVD's, and It did work Great!(Maxell -RW)...Untill your LG Recorder/drive DIED!...Can't play or read -VR DVD's on Anything now!..My Later Phillips DVD recorder was/is straightforward, and records everything in "Video?" mode, and anything I record on it will play later, on PC or DVD Deck, (But is very touchy about Blank -R or +R DVD's for Recording!)...Anyway, As I am sorting out my past Recorded DVD's, I am Trashing any Un-Important DVD's that I labeled "LG -VR", But there are a few that I cannot replace, Any suggestions on ripping "-VR" DVD's ?

Last edited by rocko; 04-04-2015 at 02:41 AM. Reason: add
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-04-2015, 06:12 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Yeah, DVD-VR was terrible.

But not all is lost. Stick those in a computer, and you can still access the VR stream files. You don't "rip" anything, or even have to use DVD Decrypter (as you do with DVD-Video or DVD+VR via IFO mode). You can copy the VR file(s). Yeah, it's that easy.

However, it's been so many years that I've even seen a VR mode disc that I'd have to see the directory/file structure again. Look at the contents, and report back.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs