04-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Free Member

Hello everybody, so I will explain, I have a little project that I want to conclude, it's been several months that I break my skull to find a solution by myself but because of a slow pc (due to multiple problem) and also due to lack of time with job and others things, I can't finish it and I need help. I really want to finish with this

I have some videos that are slightly damaged and jerky, I would like to improve the quality, I understand that the changes might not be drastic and switch to HD, don't worry but just a little better would already be good, looking at the videos on computer it's not very nice and on TV it's worse.

My first approach was to give the illusion that the quality was better, for example by making edits, playing on the contrast and brightness or trying to clean it up a bit or denoising it with video editing software.
The result is almost good but it can be far better, but it takes me too much time to achieve it, unfortunately.

That's why I ask for your help, for those who have a good knowledge in the domain of video editing and retouching or so if you are strong in restoration, please help me finish this.
Of course if you are generous and you have enough free time, I will not bother and encroach into your personal and private activities.

I give you some details also, some videos may seem strange, I don't know if they have been modified, but there are two versions, the one I have and one that should be about 368x208, but this second version is too much small and ugly, it is even more damaged and sometimes the sound is bad too.
Again the visual is disgusting, that's why I preferred to take the other version, so if you were going to tell me that the video seems strange, sorry I can't help with that unfortunately.

For those who are interested, don't hesitate to say it.
Thanks for reading.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-05-2015, 01:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
You need to attach (to the forum) or upload elsewhere (Dropbox) a sample clip.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-05-2015, 02:00 AM
Free Member

Yeah, the upload is in progress. During the load, I wanted to see who would be interested.

edit:
Here is the link : https://mega.co.nz/#!6RICxJAQ!XZvcmD...OZ0_kM_gshpVks
I know the link looks like doubtful but I swear there is no problem with it, I upload it myself.
04-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
I'm afrraid you expect too much, even from the experts. The video you submitted has been very successfully and thoroughly ruined by its maker, and there appear to have been multiple makers. It has been re-encoded several times, a serious quality issue that is repeatedly advise against in this forum. The sample itself has a bitrate too low to even maintain the proper shape and position of objects in the frames. Motion has stutter because many of the original frames were removed. There is no way to retrieve or re-create video data that has been removed or destroyed.

"HD" is out of the question. HD isn't always "better", it's just bigger. All that you can get by enlarging this video is enlarged garbage. It would not even make decent standard definition video. It's best that it should be left as-is. It won't be any better. I regret to say that it's shameful the way people abuse digital video.

Other readers might want to attempt something here, but I don't think this video can be repaired. It can only look worse. The only thing that can really be done with it is to reduce it to its original 720x576 size to try to remove some of the shimmer and broken data blocks and make the obvious distortions look relatively "smaller". Unfortunately you will still have motion stutter, and 576p is not valid for standard DVD or SD-BluRay. 576p is strictly for web or PC playback as far as good motion smoothness is concerned.

Thanks you for the sample. However, 10 to 15 seconds would have been sufficient.

Last edited by sanlyn; 04-05-2015 at 08:58 AM.
04-05-2015, 09:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

I can actually correct quite a bit of that. I just need time to get to it.

The biggest issues are:
- compression noise
- compression block noise
- aliasing
- chroma noise
- audio sync offset

Each of these can be addressed. I've done better with worse.

30 seconds would have sufficed, I agree. But since it's about comics, I find it somewhat interesting. (Of course, I don't speak French, so I have to look for visual context!)

To reiterate sanlyn, it will never be HD. That's indeed out of the question.

I do think that a 640x360 may help it. But I'd want to restore as-is, at the current size, then downconvert later if needed.

04-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Free Member

OK thank you very much, I already know this precision but thank you anyway for clarify it. I think like you, Sanlyn, I was already disgusted by the other version, it's maybe for that, that this one pleases me more.
I had the same opinion as you, that's why I opted for editing the video and trying to improve it visually.

Awesome! Lord-smurf you are a life savior! It isn't nothing to be able to inspire hope to people!
Thank you for trying and yes it is a (good) emission about comics, unfortunately it arrested a few years ago, this is why I wanted to keep it on my computer.

But we badly understood, no? When I spoke about HD, it was ironic. I wasn't spoke literally. Of course it is impossible to convert a trash like that in HD.
Lol it's a great misunderstanding

-- merged --

Attached is an example for one of the videos after I slightly retouched it with vegas pro, because of the slowness of my pc that has me set almost 2 and a half days.
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/atta...1&d=1428422203

But I find that it isn't so good, it's possible to do better with more time and a better material.

-- merged --

so, someone is interested?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg v o-r.jpg (90.0 KB, 32 downloads)
04-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Site Staff | Video

I have a sample repair encoded for you. I just need a few more days to get it uploaded, and add thread details.

Your patience is required.

What I've done is quite effective at removing or diminishing the problems mentioned above.

04-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Free Member

Oh, it's seems impressive, ok no problem.
I try just to search others helps ^^

-- merged --

- Hello you all, so did you have the time to look at it?
- everyone, please?
- Hello everybody, so did you have the time to do it?
- Hi, nobody again?
11-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Free Member

We can see your pleas, but it was Lordsmurf who suggested he had some repair methods, not us. Hopefully he is able to get back to you.
01-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Between April and December, a lot of things happened. Some good, some not so good. It was never my intention to leave you hanging. For months, (almost) all of my attention went only to clients and Premium members, as my time was often limited.

Today I finally recovered the drive housing all my tests, samples, and guide videos.

Attached here is the "after" video from a 3-minute clip of your 30-minute video.

And this is the Avisynth script that was used:

Code:
AVISource("C:\sample-frenchcomics.avi", audio=false)
spline36resize(936,536)
ConvertToYV12 # script below this line requires YV12
ColorYUV(autowhite), use with overlay line below
AwarpSharp(depth=10)  
Deblock(60) # remove macroblocks
spline36resize(720,404)
Deen() # remove edge noise
DeGrainMedian(limitY=7,limitUV=7,mode=1, norow=true)
MosquitoNR(strength=16, restore=64, radius=2) # remove MPEG compression noise from toons
Sharpen(0.5)
santiag(strh=4,strv=4) # antialiasing alternate for toons
You had some serious issues to deal with, and the final video is still not HD-quality perfect, but it is very enjoyable to watch. (Too bad that I don't understand fluent French. Is there an English dub or sub?)

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 sample-frenchcomics-LS.mp4 (25.46 MB, 17 downloads)
File Type: avs sample-frenchcomics.avs (5.7 KB, 4 downloads)

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: sanlyn (01-19-2016)
04-09-2016, 02:16 AM
Free Member

sorry to answer so late
Thanks a lot! sure, in some way I understand you, you had other things to do and it's sure that life is not always easy (myself I have difficult times too often unfortunately...)

Good job, visually the video is better, it's no longer too pixelated or there isn't too much noises anymore, it's better than nothing, thanks.
If I have the time, I must try to learn and use Avisynth

As far as I know, there isn't a english dub version but there was a eng subbed version for paying subscribed members on the site senat.tv some years ago, however that site isn't available anymore.