Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Free Member

I've been using the JVC HR-S7600EU VCR for many years. It has that great green "magic button" called "Digital TBC/NR". I've been extremely happy with it so I've always enabled it on most of my tapes.

Now I've been using some Panasonic VCR's lately (NV-FS200 and NV-HS960) that has two buttons. One for "TBC" and one for "NR". I always enable the TBC, but I'm not so sure about the "NR" button? I think it looks good in most cases, but in some cases I think it creates unwanted effects, especially after applying filters in post. This was never an issue with the JVC TBC/NR button.

So I Wonder; Is there a rule of thumb of when to use the Panasonic 3D DNR button and when to leave it off?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
"NR" on the AG-1980 is always on with the tbc. The "NORM" and "EDIT" settings do nothing -- Panasonic never programmed circuitry into those controls. Panasonic's denoiser isn't as aggressive as JVC's and inflicts less damage.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: hysteriah (04-21-2015)
04-21-2015, 04:14 AM
Free Member

Thank you very much for your input, sanlyn

Hmmm... I wonder if maybe the PAL model is very different from the NTSC model on these units? ...cos there is a great difference when switching the NR button between "ON", "OFF" and "EDIT" on my Panasonic NV-FS200. When turned "ON", there's noticably less noise/grain but it becomes a bit blury in some scenes. In "EDIT" mode, it is sharper, more grainy and with richer colors than in "OFF" position.

But the biggest difference happens with my Panasonic NV-HS960. It has a "3D DNR" button. This makes a HUGH difference when turned on. Some times it's good, some times it's "bad".

I just wonder if there's a "rule of thumb" of when to use it and when to leave it off when digitizing VHS footage?
Does it remove any kind of noise that can't be removed by applying filters in post?

Panasonic NV-FS200 NR button

Panasonic NV-HS960 NR button

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panasonic TBC-NR 003_web_small.jpg (154.9 KB, 141 downloads)
File Type: jpg Panasonic TBC-NR 008_web_small.jpg (150.8 KB, 133 downloads)

Last edited by hysteriah; 04-21-2015 at 04:36 AM.