07-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Free Member

Hi all,

I'm Raja. New to the forum and hopefully you guys can help with a problem I have.

I am a film-maker and the use of older video camera formats has become a sort of trend now. I currently own a Canon UC X-50 that I've filmed lots of content on.

I am using a Mac with the latest operating system installed. To ingest the footage into my Mac I am using an Elgato Video Capture device and their software.

The problem I am having is that when I go to ingest, a lot of the footage is very jittery and completely unusable. Especially when there's a lot of movement (like waking with the camera, etc). However when playing back on the camcorder there is no jitter and everything looks fine.

I have tried doing some research and understand that a Digital8 camcorder might work best for ingestion as they have a time based corrector built in?

Hopefully someone can help!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Free Member

Yes, lack of TBC is very likely the cause. It's possible that line TBC from a better camcorder alone may be insufficient and a full-frame TBC or something else to provide constant frame sync will be required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvstudios View Post
use of older video camera formats has become a sort of trend now.
07-22-2015, 05:40 AM
Free Member

Thanks for your response!

What would I need? I've read up on the Panasonic ES10 being a good TBC.
Is that a full frame TBC?

Thanks!
07-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvstudios View Post
What would I need? I've read up on the Panasonic ES10 being a good TBC.
Is that a full frame TBC?
The DMR-ES10 is a 2005-era DVD recorder that can be used as a pass-thru tbc -- that is, the video source is connected to the Line 1 input of the ES10, and the ES10 output is connected to the capture device. Thus, the video "plays through" (pass-thru) for capturing. As a recorder, the ES10 is only so-so. The ES10 circuitry contains a built-in line level and frame-sync tbc. A line tbc corrects scanline timing errors within frames. A frame tbc corrects frame-rate and output signal timing errors. The DMR-ES15 is a similar unit but has a slightly weaker tbc. For either unit, the Panasonic's DNR should be disabled. Both units have useable y/c comb filters for composite inputs. No other Panasonic units have been recommended for use as a pass-thru device. A couple of 2004-2005-era Toshiba high-end recorders are also used as tbc pass-thru and are passably effective, but not as powerful as the ES10 or ES15. Most DVD recorders can't be used for pass thru, and later machines have tbc's so poor that they are useless.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...hat-do-you-use