Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Free Member

I bought a second-hand NV-HS1000 VCR which must have been working fine when it left its previous owner (judging from a video clip he sent of the machine in operation, and his willingness to let me come and test it before buying, which distance made impossible). However, it now turns out that I can only get audio playback from any VHS tape, and no picture at all - neither from SCART, S-Video or Composite outputs. I'm still pretty clueless when it comes to VCRs, so I'm hoping there's a very obvious solution that I overlooked. Either way, I'll be very grateful for any assistance!

-- merged --

As a quick update to this (I'd edit my first post if I could find the button...) I just connected an old camera to the composite inputs on the front of the machine (AV3) and that does work normally, with the image being displayed on my tv as it should. So I'm guessing there's a problem specifically with playing back VHS tapes?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-26-2015, 09:35 AM
Free Member

I'm guessing the NV-HS1000 is one of Panasonic's models with no electronically-generated blue screen output. Yes it does sound like a problem specific to playback of tapes.

Troubleshooting steps I can think of to narrow things down slightly more...

What's your TV? If HDTV, do you have a CRT you could try it with instead without much hassle? It's unlikely to make a difference, but flat panel displays have to digitize the signal much in the same way as a DVD recorder or PC capture device, so in theory it's "possible" the signal is borderline and the TV's decoder is failing to lock onto it.

For a Hi-Fi tape, are you able to determine whether the audio playback is the low quality linear (mono) track, or the Hi-Fi track? Hi-Fi audio requires greater tracking accuracy. A retail movie with a stereo music passage should make it obvious.

[Regarding editing posts on this forum: the admin intentionally configured the software to prevent users from editing posts after a 1-hour grace period has elapsed.]
07-26-2015, 12:50 PM
Free Member

Thanks msgohan. I've actually tried it on two tv's (one HDTV and one CRT), as well as a USB capture device connected to my pc, all with the same results.

As far as I can tell, Hi-Fi audio works just fine.

I cleaned the VCR heads yesterday, but barely any dirt came off and it hasn't made a difference. I've also found that bringing up the VCR's menu also results in a completely black screen, so I'm no longer sure that the problem is related only to tape playback.

One other thing which may or may not be relevant: the S-VHS LED is on even though the relevant switch is turned off. This only relates to input though, so may have nothing to do with the other problem.
07-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Remembered

Quote:
the S-VHS LED is on even though the relevant switch is turned off. This only relates to input though,
If a S. VHS Kasstte with S. video is a recorded cassette in it, page video is indicated, all the same what is put in the front.

Have at the moment also NV-HS1000 in a Capture cut place.

Behind separate exit Y/C

Front:
TBC=off
Rec Mode=passive
Video Mode=auto
AI=off

This NV-HS1000 is almost same to construction with my other Pana AG4700.

However, both give no clean and time-steady signal from... or without internal TBC.
This is why I connect the Y/C signal either to a Canopus NX map or to the Pana DMR EH595.
Result... the picture is bomb-stable and I have a friendly expression.;-)

Till present I had only once the same mistake.... Black picture.... Audio cleanly.
Do not know, however, now any more with which device the film earlier was taped.
Then with another setter there was also a colour picture.
If long time is, however.

-- merged --

Supplement
open sometimes the cover and look whether in the rear Y/C connection all 4 cables are still soldered, ev.musst they postsolder.

We here in Europe have in this NV-HS1000 still, in addition, 2 Scart [Peritel] connections.
In one we can decrease together with FBAS also Y/C, then of course the counter must be put between both Scart `see also on S. video.
08-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Free Member

I've opened the cover, but having no experience with these things I can't really tell if anything is out of place here... I've taken a few pictures, maybe someone else can see if everything is as it should be?

All cables seem to be in place, and as I mentioned before, the heads are still very clean. Audio plays perfectly, but no picture. Setting it to AV3 with a camera connected does result in the camera's picture being displayed. Definitely starting to regret this purchase now.
08-09-2015, 04:21 AM
Remembered

Quote:
Setting it to AV3 with a camera connected does result in the camera's picture being displayed.
Since the entire signal is just passed through.
With myself in the HS1000 and in the AG4700 same to construction I have removed the cover from the net part.
Before this is covered too strongly.
Go to an engineer, he should check the net part, defective electrolytic capacitors are possible there.

Quote:
Definitely starting to regret this purchase now.
No ..... patience, it's not a bad device

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schnittplatz_AG4700.jpg (61.6 KB, 53 downloads)
File Type: jpg AG4700.jpg (78.6 KB, 45 downloads)
08-09-2015, 04:45 AM
Remembered

A recent example .... the winner for my current bands is the AG4700.
The 2 in the capture list.

Is checked the image on interlaced control monitor.
See top picture.

Race your HS1000 to Service workshop

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edius_Rekorder_Vergleiche Kopie.jpg (76.3 KB, 43 downloads)
08-18-2015, 07:05 PM
Free Member

OP, have you tried googling for your problem?
when i had a problem with my own VCR (different make, it was a toshiba), i found this online repair tip that was dead on: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vi...s-r443-6r8-/73

for your particular VCR and problem (No video out - all other functs ok) it reads: resolder IC3 and IC4 in the power supply.

while you're at it, you might as well recap the power supply. i just purchased used NV-HS1000 too, so likely will be doing this too.
08-19-2015, 02:29 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Googling for Panasonic S-VHS VCR problems will 99% of the time bring you to this site.

A Panasonic S-VHS VCR issue is almost always related to the capacitors going bad (bulging, leaking, etc). It's a simple-though-tedious fix, and will refresh the unit like new.

A bad-cap Panasonic costs anywhere from $200-400 to fix, if you have a repairman perform the work (this is what I do!), so the initial unit is honestly not worth more than $150. (Those are US prices, so use www.xe.com to convert currency. Right now EUR to USD is almost 1:1, BPB to USD is about 1.5:1) Hopefully you did not overpay. If so, you need to request a partial refund. He sold a broken unit.

He may argue that it was "fine", but caps die with age, used or not. If the unit was sitting unused in a closet for years, then it probably developed these issues without him knowing it. This assumes he did not test it at all before selling it to you. He should have done this, however, and you should have insisted on it.

Off-topic: Goldwingfahrer, your English is much better than my ability to read/write other languages.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-19-2015, 05:06 AM
Remembered

Quote:
A Panasonic S-VHS VCR issue is almost always related to the capacitors going bad (bulging, leaking, etc). It's a simple-though-tedious fix, and will refresh the unit like new.
Yes, on a Pana AG7700 had 113 capacitors are replaced, see Screen
On a Pana AG8600 also about 100 capacitors.

On a Pana NV-V8000 many capacitors in the power supply and 3 capacitors have to be replaced under the head drum

Even with JVC capacitors have to be replaced.
My colleague Stefan helps me because I have only 2 hands.
http://www.heimers.ch/de/jvc_hr-s6800e.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elko_AG7700.jpg (141.3 KB, 46 downloads)
08-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingfahrer View Post
Yes, on a Pana AG7700 had 113 capacitors are replaced, see Screen
On a Pana AG8600 also about 100 capacitors.

On a Pana NV-V8000 many capacitors in the power supply and 3 capacitors have to be replaced under the head drum

Even with JVC capacitors have to be replaced.
My colleague Stefan helps me because I have only 2 hands.
http://www.heimers.ch/de/jvc_hr-s6800e.html
IMHO, replacing all caps is insanity. you only replace the caps that are defective, usually electrolytic in the power supply. the toshiba VCR i recently fixed had only ONE defective cap (known defect in that model) that actually looked good, but lost capacitance, that caused the power supply voltage to spike high enough to explode another cap (with nice fireworks), opened fast semiconductor fuses and burned one diode on the main board. replacing 2 caps, 2 fuses and one diode fixed the VCR.

the people who replace all caps without troubleshooting and charge $$$ simply take advantage of other gullible people.
08-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

When a Panasonic goes, usually most caps were already dying but you didn't notice. I've never had less than 50 caps replaced.

In the USA, at the moment, your best bet is TGrant.
Don't forget the coupons: http://www.tgrantphoto.com/sales/ind...talFAQ-coupons

08-21-2015, 12:53 PM
Free Member

Sorry about the very late and sparse replies, and thanks for your input, everyone. I did try googling, but as lordsmurf said, found no better results than this here site. Though I did find out about the tendency for capacitors to die on these units. However, since I barely even know what capacitors do, let alone feel confident about touching them, the device is currently at a shop to hopefully get fixed.

The seller did send me a clip of the VCR in action before I bought it, but of course there's no way to know when it was actually taken. It was not possible to go and see for myself because of distance, so I took a leap of faith (but only for €120 - about $136 I think). Just hoping the repair won't set me back too much.
08-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Site Staff | Video

Since it was about $135, you didn't get screwed, assuming that it's just caps. So that's good. A cap job tends to cost about $200-400, and refreshed the unit. So you get a used like-new (due to caps repair) $2k VCR for under $500. Not bad, when you remember all these things.

I'm terrible with soldering. I use a shop, too. It used to be Jots, but I'd now look to use TGrant.

08-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Free Member

Not being in the US, I can only dream of using a specialized shop like that. My unit is being serviced by a local electronics store, and I dearly hope they'll be able to figure it out and fix it competently - I'm not sure they get much practice on VCR's at all these days.
08-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter847 View Post
Sorry about the very late and sparse replies, and thanks for your input, everyone. I did try googling, but as lordsmurf said, found no better results than this here site. Though I did find out about the tendency for capacitors to die on these units. However, since I barely even know what capacitors do, let alone feel confident about touching them, the device is currently at a shop to hopefully get fixed.
thanks for the follow up and please keep us posted about the fix results. i also purchased an used NV-HS1000 for low price, but the seller explained about the no video problem, and i was able to negotiate the price much lower (way below $100). in the meantime i googled all i could find on the NV-HS1000 issues, and this is how i found the re-soldering tip i posted earlier. since it costs nothing, except time, i'm going to do that fix first (i'm still waiting for the delivery).

actually, most useful info on repair of this particular model is found in German and other foreign languages rather than English. i guess this VCR was not popular in England and it's very rare in USA (for obvious NTSC/PAL reasons).

other issues that showed up in my searches were several failed 100uF and 680uF caps in the PS, and failed bipolar caps next to the video heads. the plastic worm gear in the loading motor brakes a lot (common to all K-mechanism VCRs). only one person mentioned SMD caps in the Y-C board. so, i hope the massive SMD recaping, like lordsmurf explained based on AG-1980 model, won't be needed here.

Last edited by friendly_jacek; 08-21-2015 at 03:41 PM.
08-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Remembered

Quote:
Post 11 friendly_jacek
Quote:
replacing 2 caps, 2 fuses and one diode fixed the VCR.

the people who replace all caps without troubleshooting and charge $$$ simply take advantage of other gullible people.
Sorry, I do not want to be rude ... the devices are here on a table and I can count sicher.Sonst I let myself do again as an employee.

A report on capacitors of my Pana AG8600 can be found on the net, of course, only in German.
http://www.edaboard.de/smd-elko-mass...en-t20717.html
Kollege Stefan
+
http://www.technologische-hilfe.de/s...250030902.html

and here are 2 photos from the smaller Pana AG7700 [without int.TBC]
Total 113 capacitors.

image 3
Disposal JVC BR-S822 + Pana AG8700 + boards

Always be careful with whom one speaks or writes, because it could be the can prove anything anyone.

I think I am here in the wrong forum.
Cholera jasna

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AG7700.jpg (109.6 KB, 34 downloads)
File Type: jpg Elko_AG7700.jpg (142.4 KB, 33 downloads)
File Type: jpg Geraeteentsorgung.jpg (61.0 KB, 33 downloads)

Last edited by Goldwingfahrer; 08-21-2015 at 05:29 PM.
08-21-2015, 05:22 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
You're definitely valued in this forum.

08-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Sorry, I do not want to be rude ... the devices are here on a table and I can count sicher.Sonst I let myself do again as an employee.

[...]

Always be careful with whom one speaks or writes, because it could be the can prove anything anyone.

Cholera jasna
i'm not sure i follow you. In case of my toshiba, there were also hundreds of electrolitic capacitors (granted none of them were SMD). but only 2 required to be replaced to fix it. do you have a problem with this part?

now, if indeed some pana models have all bad "elkos" then i apologize for the gullible part.

but, we are talking about NV-HS1000/AG-4700 model here. did you have to replace all caps in this one?

Last edited by friendly_jacek; 08-21-2015 at 06:02 PM.
08-22-2015, 02:01 AM
Remembered

Weakness on AG4700 and the HS1000 is the total boxed PSU.
The heat can not as normal escape upward.
I currently have on video editing Place a AG4700.
Packing the power supply I have already removed sooner, even when HS1000 .... and when capturing I solve the 4 screws, left and right + remove the lid or I lay back with an object that the lid slants.

Lasse check the power supply.